I think I’ve really done it now

emphasized text[quote=“smyliestyle, post:1, topic:11358, full:true”]
![image|666x500]([quote=“smyliestyle, post:1, topic:11358, full:true”]

As I’ve mentioned before I am a quadriplegic so yes I’m in a wheelchair and I do have a tendency to drop harmonicas from time to time. Well this time not only did I drop it but I ran over it as well

and it is a Hohner marine band. Hopefully it’s just the plate covers. I’ll post some pics maybe you guys can give me some advice on what I need to do to try to fix it. Thanks in advance hope all is well with everyone

[/quote]

upload://4k64VanW9wbTiWCl0QOHx6WM6Os.jpeg)
As I’ve mentioned before I am a quadriplegic so yes I’m in a wheelchair and I do have a tendency to drop harmonicas from time to time. Well this time not only did I drop it but I ran over it as well

and it is a Hohner marine band. Hopefully it’s just the plate covers. I’ll post some pics maybe you guys can give me some advice on what I need to do to try to fix it. Thanks in advance hope all is well with everyone

[/quote]

strong text

I’ve added a few more pictures next to my key of G that hasn’t been ran over and you can tell a significant difference

3 Likes

Most likely it will just be the hoods. From what I can see, the timber comb looks like it will be fine. The reeds should have been protected well enough. The poor thing looks so sad though. Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks Any advice on the best way to get the nails out of the Marine band

1 Like

Hi @smyliestyle,

I agree with @stonestone63 that it appears to be only the covers/hoods that are damaged. Are these the cheaper Marine Band models (which use nails to attach the covers to the comb) or are they the more expensive Marine Band Deluxe models (which use screws for the cover/hood attachment?

You can order new hoods directly from Hohner.

Oh – you just answered my question.

Most people use an old kitchen knife or a putty spatula to wedge the covers off of the comb. Someone on the internet had a YouTube video about replacing the nail-type covers with the screw-type – but it is quite a bit of work …

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It honestly looks like it would take a very small flat head screwdriver possibly

2 Likes

That can also work. But an old butter knife or putty spatula will probably have a thinner profile to get under the hood flanges.

– Slim

3 Likes

No sorry. I haven’t taken a nailed together harp apart since I was seven years old. Plus I don’t know how limited you are. @Slim and others like him will be of more help with this than me. I just wanted to reassure you. Cheers

3 Likes

I appreciate it fellas I’ll probably wait for somebody that has fully functioning fingers and hands to go to prying on it that way I can blame them as well for making it worse JK

4 Likes

Great idea !! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

– Slim

3 Likes

I’ve not tried it with a harmonica but if I’ve needed to pry something like that open I also usually start with something like a putty spatula rather than a screwdriver because the wider blade is less likely to damage the wood, Once the blade is in try sliding another in underneath it. That way you are sort of ‘jacking up’ the nail rather than levering it.

Then take the blades out & see if you can get hold of the nail head with a pair of pliers. If not, put the blades back in, then slide another, or maybe a screwdriver this time, between the blades to jack it up even further (using the screwdriver between the other blades means its narrow blade isn’t pressing direct on the wood and the outer blades spread the pressure).

4 Likes

Hello @smyliestyle,
you do things! I can see your tire width… :grimacing:.
You can have the cover plates changed. But how bad was the crash? It’s also possible that the harp broke with it?
A harp fell out of my hands at the beginning, on stone. Unfortunately she didn’t survive that :cry:. I hadn’t even rolled over her yet. My electric wheelchair weighs 250 kg with me. I’m less of a problem.

Do you have insurance for something like that? household goods or something?

Please write to us how it went!

All the best! Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

It looks like a screw but is really just nails. I took my marine band apart this week. I used a thin common screwdriver to wedge under the edge and pull it up

2 Likes

Do you know a good panel beater? Best of luck brother :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like