Ian Anderson Plays Blues Harmonica

One of my favourite blues harmonica songs as played by Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson. Any idea what harmonica he’s playing and in what key?
(1) Jethro Tull - Someday The Sun Won’t Shine For You, TV Broadcast 1999 HD - YouTube

6 Likes

Hi @jeffw

It looks like he is playing a Hohner Meisterklasse harp in the key of C. He is playing it in 2nd position (G).

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thank you. Would like to be able to play this one.

3 Likes

Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull are so ridiculously good at anything.

5 Likes

Yep. I first heard them in 1972 and have been lucky enough to see Tull/Anderson several times over the years.

3 Likes

I was sadly born in the wrong decade :smiley: but I was raised with Aqualung as lullaby :laughing:
I’ve always loved how “crazy” he acts on stage (or maybe it’s not acting?)

2 Likes

Definitely acting I would say and even now very rehearsed and staged though not quite as manic! Apparently his “standing on one leg playing the flute thing” was something he orginally did while playing the harmonica. When he switched from guitar to flute it became his trademark.
Talking of being born in the wrong decade - or the correct one in my case! - most of the music I still listen to is mainly from the late 60s and the 70s. Though I do enjoy a lot of different and more recent stuff.

5 Likes

Each time I do the tree pose in Yoga I think of Ian :laughing: and maybe I should give it a try while practising the harmonica, see if it helps my breathing :smiley:

Yeah, I often wish I’d got to see Pink Floyd at their height, Rory Gallagher, Led Zeppelin, etc. What a time for electric guitar!

5 Likes

I will try not to make you too jealous by saying that I saw all 3 multiple times! Among many others.

4 Likes

a bit late for that :laughing:

3 Likes

Dire Strait? Jimi Hendrix?

Where is a good time machine when you need one! That’s it, I’ll hunt for a DeLorean…

4 Likes

And the genius that is Frank Zappa! so many.

4 Likes

Dancing fool cracks me up every time

3 Likes

Hey @jeffw so crazy the time I’m seeing this. Just got home from my church rehearsal had one of my singers playing a lot of flute, and it sounded so cool, I was like, “It sounds like Jethro Tull up in here” to which she immediately lifted up one of her feet and put it on her other leg, lol! :joy:

Wow, some ripping blues harmonica playing. I didn’t know Ian Anderson could play harmonica like that! Definitely will be sharing this. Thanks!

Rock on,
Luke

4 Likes

You could make a whole lesson out of the techniques Ian Anderson is using here!
That pose is definitely well known and iconic! He does Christmas shows in cathedrals around the UK so the chuch setting is not out of place.

3 Likes

Here’s another version with a “Bendometer” to the right of the screen. Had fun trying to spot the various techniques Ian Anderson is using.
Some day the sun won’t shine for you - A blues with Jethro Tull - Con bendometer - YouTube

4 Likes

Here the tabs for the opening, and a description of what’s going on, including the dead giveaway that he’s lip blocking and not tongue blocking .

(you’ll need to be able to bend to play this - if you can’t bend yet check out my guide here)

It starts with a strong slide up to -4 and he actually passes it and hits -5 ever so quickly but then really starts on -4’ bending into it with a lot of throat vibrato:

:arrow_right: Slide up to -5 -4’ -4 (sustain with vibrato) -4’ -4 -5

:arrow_right: Then he bends into a short -4’ -4 -4’ 4 3

:arrow_right: And then a longer version. Really this is just bending up into a -4, bending back down and sliding down to -1, written like this:

-4’ -4 -4’ -3 -2 -1 1 -1 -2” -2 -3’ -2 (hold with vibrato) -2”

:arrow_right: Then he blows and slides up 2 3 4 5 6 (hold with vibrato)

:arrow_right: (Then he is hinting at 3rd position)

-6’ -6 -6’ -6 -6’ -6 8 -6 6 -5 -4

:arrow_right: (Now back to 2nd position) -4’ -4 and then he articulates five more times on the -4 ta-ta-ta-ta-ta (that’s how we know he’s lip blocking!)

:arrow_right: Then more ta-ta-ta- while slowly bending from -4 to -4’ 4 3 -3’

:arrow_right: Another slide 3 2 1 -1 -2” -2 -3’ -2 -2” -2 (held) -2”

:arrow_right: Like at the beginning, slide up -5 -4’ -4 -4’ slide down -3 -2 -1 -1’ 1

:arrow_right: 5 5 5 5 -5 5 -4 slide up to 6 6 -5 -4 -4’ -4 -5 -4

:arrow_right: A fast bend (grace note) -4 -4’ 4 3 -3’ -2 slide down to -1 -1 -1

Hope that helps!

Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you. Still not managed to bend - one day - I have to re-do the first few lessons of the beginner to boss course first :slight_smile:
Harmonica was always his go to instrument before taking up the flute which he self-learned over a few months!

3 Likes

More from Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull. From 1969.
(13) Jethro Tull - To Be Sad Is A Mad Way To Be + Back To The Family - Stockholm January 9, 1969 - YouTube

3 Likes

Wow
Jethro Tull memories of the seventies

4 Likes