Introduce Yourself!

Im a harp player. Im new here.

6 Likes

Welcome to the party.

3 Likes

Allen here! New to the site and the Harmonica world and loving it. Just a few month in but enjoying this great instrument! Been dabbling with it for years but got nowhere with it. Finally decided I’m ready to get serious and finally really learn it!

5 Likes

Rock on, you are in a good place. Luke is a great teacher. Kinda reminds me of the Marty Schwartz of harmonica.

3 Likes

Hi: Slim Jim here (newbie): I bought a Lee, Oscar diatonic in the key of low C. I love it, and have been taking the lessons to become a boss. I also was able to jam with some of my friends who play guitars drums and ukulele. For the songs in the key of C, it works great, but they are telling me I need to get harps, also in the keys of G,D, and A. I want to get another Lee Oskar diatonic, but am confused. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I am thinking my current harmonica is in key of C on the blow notes and key of G on the draw notes. First of all, is this correct? If this is right, do I need another harmonica in the key of G, which I is an option? So I’m thinking if I get another Lee Osker in the key of D it will also play in the key of A on the draw notes. Is this correct? I found this chart which I am basing my guesses on. Chart shown in photo. Basically, I want to be able to cover C,D,G, and A keys and want to do this with as few harmonicas as possible. Please give me some direction. Thanks!

2 Likes

@Horn welcome to the forum! So glad you’re back playing again, that the vids have helped, and that you’ve joined us here in the forum. I can’t quite understand your question. Can you please try and ask it in a different way?

Have you seen this? How to Bend Harmonica – For Beginners

@Piglet - sweeeeet. Congrats on the best musical decision you coulda made and I hope you love your birthday present!

@Bruce_Higgison welcome to the forum my friend. Great to have you. How long have you been playing for?

@AllenJP WOO HOO! Stoked man. Can’t wait to hear how it continues to go for you. Congrats on your decision to get serious with it.

@Jav Welcome to the forum! You are going to eventually want to get all the keys your friends have recommended.

I’m not sure if you’re talking about chords or positions. Positions are confusing at the beginning and take time to understand. But the gist of it is:

1st position means using a C harmonica to play a song in the key of C

2nd position means using a C harmonica to play a song in the key of G.

The root chord for 1st position is 123 (or blowing anywhere on the harmonica) and the root chord for 2nd position is -234 (but -1 is also in the chord.)

To get a little more insight on 1st vs 2nd positions: What the Heck is a Harmonica Position? (And WHY do I need to know?)

Hope that helps?

3 Likes

Hi, this is Jose, from far away. I live in Spain. I´m very hopeful with this course. I´m just starting to play harmonica. I would like to learn how to play the blues in the future. I have enrolled to this course for starting from the very beguining, acquiring good habits and fundamentals and improving my skills with the harmonica.
Best regards

4 Likes

Greetings Jose @joserichart1 !!

Welcome to the forum. We are an international group with harpists in Germany, England, Australia, USA and more.

As you progress and your harmonica skills expand you will perhaps eventually wish to purchase a harmonica that is set up properly to enable you to show your best musical abilities. I tell you this because there is an excellent harmonica customizer not far from you – not in Spain, but in Portugal. His name is Andre Coelho. I can tell you from personal experience that his work is very, very good. It is now probably too early for you to consider buying a harmonica from him, and perhaps you will never get to that point. But just in case you do continue learning to play and to play blues harp, then I can tell you to please make a note of his name. :+1:

If you have any problems or questions while learning to play, then just ask for help on this forum. Look around first for answers to any question you might have, since this forum already contains very, very many answers to common questions. :point_left:

Happy harping,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi. I’m a beginner harmonica player and just decided to buy this course. I’ve watched several of your videos and enjoy your style so I joined! Here we go… Steve Brown

5 Likes

Rock on, Luke is a great teacher. He reminds me of what would happen if Marty Schwartz taught harmonica.

1 Like

New to the harmonic jams

Im 42 and been playing brass instruments since a kid. First instrument my wife dosnt complain about. Learning the harp to jam out on overland camping trips. Friends already want to play the spoons. haha
Howln wolf… wow. Thanks for the mention. My new favorite tracks

4 Likes

Welcome to the fun. Music is just awesome.

2 Likes

Using two harmonicas. If a song begins with Melody Maker in G then progresses to Harmonic Minor what are the best key choices? Consulting the Camelot Harmonic Wheel the choice would be ‘Em as I read it. The Melody Maker is a bit different then the G major on the Camelot Wheel so I wonder if the ‘Em is still the best choice.

1 Like

@joserichart1 bienvenidos to the forum mi amigo! So smart to start with good fundamentals. You’ll be rocking the blues in no time! :sunglasses:

@steveb189 Welcome to harmonica town Mr. Brown! So glad you’ve decided to join us here. Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it! Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

@Wesley.a.duff YES that’s part of why the harmonica is THE PEOPLE’S INSTRUMENT! So portable. The only instrument played on the north pole, the south pole, and the MOON! Glad to have you here. Rock on! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi. I’m Derek, from Scotland, UK. Looking forward to getting those blues techniques mastered and actually becoming a good blues harmonica player. Loving the course with JP so far. Look forward to being part of this journey with all you guys. We can do this. :notes:

4 Likes

Hi there, my name is Colin from Connecticut, US, though I’ve lived in almost every region. I discovered the harmonica at the age of fifteen when I found the first Butterfield Blues Band album, and a lot of other Chicago and Country Blues albums in a storage space. Used a small booklet that came with a marine band to learn to play (this was the 1990’s) but only played on and off over the years. Trying to take it a bit more seriously now in the hopes of playing locally with a guitar player. I play chromatic as well and like jazz on that, reggae on nature minor, and Django-ish jazz tunes on Lee Oscar harmonic minors. I also enjoy using pedals and DAW for multitrack.

2 Likes

Hello! My name Is Hassan and i currently am aiming to get my bachelors in music with an emphasis in sound recording technology! I am 20 years old and I currently reside in Virginia.

Growing up my mother would always play songs from stevie wonder and it HEAVILY influenced me to want to learn how to play the harmonica. I always wanted to know what kind of harmonica he plays on as a kid and even now, which is why i picked up the harmonica to play like him and so many other people out there!

The only thing i can do is play the chords to “Piano Man” by Elton John and play it on the piano as well…but as far as playing single notes and especially BENDING…is something I have never tried yet but I look forward to learning so many of the new techniques in this course! :slight_smile:

-Hassan

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for the welcome. I feel i´m improving my skills with the harmonica. I still have some difficulties with the 1/16 notes, the yardstick and all that very syncopated phrasing. My brain almost boils when practicing all these stuff but i´m having a lot of fun. Step by step. I keep on practicing. lol.

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Pascal, I´m 40 years old, from Vienna Austria and I´ve started 8 days ago with the Beginner to Boss course.
A special thanks to Luke for creating such an educational course, that is so much fun to experience.
My musical background is piano as a child (4 years practicing but unfortunately stopped), turntablism/djaying and sampling/beatmaking.
A week ago I´ve stumbled upon Harmonica com´s videos on youtube and thought to give it a try, as the instrument is inexpensive and it looked like fun to start Luke´s course.
Little did I know that I would be literally blown away.
The first couple of days were really exhausting because my body was tense (even when I tried to relax), breath control seemed impossible (especially accentuations like Ta-Ka-Ta inhale).
After a few days of just riding along with the course and not getting discouraged, I could feel and hear the differences in my breathing and hitting the right tabs.

Yesterday evening I´ve started with the single notes module and fortunately something clicked.
Reflecting after the first week of studying, my major practice for this week (besides the single note module) will be inhale accentuation practice and syncopation.

I can hit often the syncopations in; as example; “Heart of Gold” but the moment I´ll try to think about the rhythm (trying to count it while playing) Ill mess up.

The syncopations feeling I´ve used in turntablism come pretty handy but counting and playing at the same time is a challenge at the moment (especially in a 16th rhythm).
Anybody got some tips (I´m counting the rhythm out loud as advised from Luke)?

I´m sorry for the long post, the blues harp fever caught me and I´m just very happy to found a new instrument to learn, with a great community of like minded people :slight_smile:

many greets from VIEnna

PAScal

4 Likes

Hi Pascal @djpas

You write:
"I can hit often the syncopations in; as example; “Heart of Gold” but the moment I´ll try to think about the rhythm (trying to count it while playing) Ill mess up.

The syncopations feeling I´ve used in turntablism come pretty handy but counting and playing at the same time is a challenge at the moment (especially in a 16th rhythm)."

Since you already have at least a feel for syncopation – something not all beginners have – it might be better for you to try to rely on and use this skill more. Save the counting for truly difficult passages. Your “inner rhythm feeling” :brain::heartbeat: is probably much better than you think, and all of the counting is perhaps getting in its way. :point_left:

Regards from SW Germany,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes