Introduce Yourself!

Hi Luke. Yes right in our lambing season. The sheep don’t mind me playing to them. My dog Rowan has given me wearing looks but he is used to my mistakes now. Getting there with single notes. Tried my hand with Scarborough fair.

1 Like

LOL Oh yes that’s a great one! Nice, 3rd position melody.

Hi! I recently inherited a vintage Hohner echo harp 32 in both C and G keys that my mother had. I’m interested in learning to play some basic folk songs.
One issue: the harp is from a smoking household and smells like smoke and perfume. What is the best way to rid out of these smells? The comb is wooden. Any suggestions are helpful!

Hey Reese - welcome to the forum! I’ve never played an Echo harp before. Looks really cool. If it was me, I’d go ahead and soak it for a minute in a glass of Listerine or some comparable alcohol mouthwash, and then rinse it out with water, and then gently tap it against palm and draw and blow to get moisture out, and maybe don’t put it back in the box until it’s good and dry.

Just FYI, I’ve never really spent time playing tremolo harmonicas like the Echo. If you want to follow along with lessons here, and most beginner lessons, I’d recommend you buy a diatonic harmonica. Here’s my advice on brands for a first purchase:

Hope that helps!

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

I’m a 75 year old criminal defense lawyer / law school professor who has been playing chromatic harmonicas forever ( i did start on a simple marine band when I was 8 and they cost @ a dollar!) Finally decided to try the blues. Bought myself some hohner diatonics in c, and g. And the rest is ( or the future) is history. Thanks for the help and inspiration. Look forward to learning from you.

2 Likes

Cool! Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!
Aloha,
Luke

Ci@o!

My name is Henk and I’m trying to make some funky blues sounds on this soul instrument. :heart::sparkles:

After getting some help from a friend and the WWW. I very recently dicovered some vids by Harmonica.com. It really was an eye-opener.
So, thank you Luke!

And shortly after that I decided to take the course Beginner 2 Boss. I started today, and I think it will boost my skills in a better more solid direction. :rainbow::fire:

Also all the best wishes for Mr. Allen.

Grtz from the Netherlands.

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about my friend, and I anticipate you’re going to be doing that like a boss before too long. So glad to have you be part of the community, my friend.
Rock on!
Luke

Hello from down under. My Father played Ave Maria and Mario Lanza songs
as a small child I remember I loved it when he played.

1 Like

Hey Jan! What rich memories and beautiful songs. Thanks for saying hi!
Aloha form Hawaii!
-Luke

Hey Luke , I’m Kevin from Florida , I’m 53 . I decided I wanted to try and learn how to play harmonica a few weeks ago , so I watched a few YouTube videos and bought a Big River Harp in the key of C . I watched A LOT of videos in the last few weeks but your videos have been my favorite by far , so I’m going for it . I WANNA PLAY HARMONICA LIKE A BOSS !!!
I’m a professional level drummer , been playing over 40 years , and I’m a novice guitar and ukulele player . I’m interested in playing blues and rock . If I can learn to play the harmonica parts from When the Levee Breaks by LED ZEPPELIN I will consider this mission a success !!! I know it will take time but I’m prepared to put the time in .My youngest son is a guitar player and guitar teacher and we have a band together and I really wanna play some blues harmonica live !!!

1 Like

Wow, Kevin that is so cool! Good for you man. It’s gonna happen! You’ve already got the rhythm man, so you’re well on your way. How cool that you have a band with your son.

Congrats on making the investment in yourself, and taking the plunge and getting the course. It’s gonna pay off man. I look forward to seeing your comments inside Beginner to Boss as well as here in the forum. Definitely keep me posted and let me know how things go!

Aloha,
Luke

Hi Luke, I’m Chuck Fitzpatrick. I’m very new to the community so I’m learning to navigate some of the forums. Just wanted to say hi and let you know how excited I am to be taking these lessons. I’m learning and having fun doing it. Thank your team for such an easy to learn system.

Chuck

Right on Chuck! I really appreciate the message. LMK if you have any questions about how to navigate the forum. I’m really happy that you’re here. So glad you’re having fun with the lesson.

No doubt the team here is so talented and hardworking, and I feel really blessed and grateful that they chose me to work with as their harmonica guy.

It sounds like you’re inspired, Chuck, and that’s the key. So keep on rocking and enjoying the journey!

Aloha,
Luke

Hey!! This is James. One day last week, I just decided to see if Guitar Center offered harmonica lessons. As it turns out, no. So then I went looking and found your site. I have already started the lessons and am looking forward to the next one. My goal is to be able to play a song or two in my band. BTW, I am the drummer for our band so it will be interesting to see if I can do both at the same time.

1 Like

High I’m John,
I have been playing guitar for a long time but found I can’t sing and play . Not that I can’t but bc I can’t hear both. I thought w a harp you only do one at a time. Plus I’ve always thought it was just a cool instrument. Easy to take with.

1 Like

David L. Never could learn how to play, anything, guitar, piano and drum lessons and can’t play any. Hoping this course will do the trick. Getting up in age. No time to waste. Fingers are crossed.

1 Like

Hi from Colorado! Love the course. I had to pause for a month while I coached some volleyball at my kid’s school. As soon as I graduate I’ll take on the Breakthrough Blues. My goal is to get on stage by the end of this year somewhere - closer to home if I’m any good, far away if I’m not so good ;).

Started my music journey in Winter 2019 with the ukulele after finishing up with my chemo. I was waiting for retirement but that showed me there’s no time like the present to start learning some music. As it turns out I’m not a very good singer so now I’m learning the ukulele and the harmonica.

Blues on,
Kevin

1 Like

Oh that is so cool James! Welcome to the forum. May you accomplish your goal, my friend. You can do it!

It could be really cool to do a breakdown kinda thingy and just play kick and hi-hat with your feet while rocking a harmonica solo!!

Keep us posted on your progress, James. And welcome again.

Aloha,
Luke

Well David - first of all, welcome to the forum. So happy to have you here! Second of all, you are in great company because harmonica legend Jerry Portnoy (in case you haven’t heard of him, he was Muddy Water’s harmonica player, and Eric Clapton’s harmonica player) could never play guitar or piano or anything that required finger dexterity.

But he’s one of my harmonica heroes. So I have high hopes for you my friend. You got this.

Rock on,
Luke

1 Like