Introduce Yourself!

Thank you so much…
I will follow your instructions and try to do better.

Yes I have noticed it recently

Great catch Slim! Good job helping our young friend here. This will hep you tremendously Arthit!

Rock on,
Luke

Hi Luke,

Family has a vacation coming up to the Big Island. Are you or any of the other instructors there available for a private lesson?

Thanks,
Kevin

E-mail me luke@harmonica.com

Hi my name is Ed and I’m really keen on learning to play blues harp. I’m an old guy [73]. I am trying to master bending and I’m almost there after 3 days trying. I live in UK, I love blues music. I own several different harps.

1 Like

Thanks Luke. Email sent.

1 Like

Hey Ed - welcome to the forum. Happy to have you here. How long have you been playing harmonica?

Aloha,
Luke

Hi Luke,
I have been trying to play for years off and on, taking lessons from various online “teachers” who assume you know what you’re doing and I’ve got nowhere until now. I did think of giving up until I found Harmonica.com. It’s a much easier learning curve. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how to play this amazing little instrument. Ed

1 Like

Hi guys,
I’m Rory from Melbourne Australia.
Back in February 2021 I took up bass guitar and did an online course called BassBuzz.
It’s the same format as this one one actually.
Anyway lockdown came and we were stuck at home for around ten months no of course I played every day.
This doesn’t sound too exciting but what makes it so for me is that not only have I ever play3d bass before, I have a disabled hand which I thought would make it impossible for me to play.
Jump ahead to now and I own 12 bass guitars and 2 amps and heap of other stuff and I’m in a band I started called Toxic Circus (check out out Instagram site) doing 60-90 classic rock covers.
We expect to be playing live in August.
So what does all that have to do with the harmonica?
Well I’ve always loved the sound and I’ve always wanted to play one, so off to the music shop and $85 later I’m the proud owner or a Suzuki 10 hole diatonic harmonica in C.
Just like the bass I’m determined to be a good solid player within a short period of time and hopefully get to play it in my band.
So no matter what level your t, don’t give up, you’ll get there.
Also Luke I see your a Oahu lad?
My wife and I go there every December from the 15th until the 26th.
In fact I get my tattoos there from Andy King at Tattoolicious.
Maybe when the world settles and we are allowed to travel, we could get together, have a frothy or three and maybe a jam?
Sound like a plan.
Good, I look forward to it.
Rory

Hi all. I’ve been playing for years, but only recently trying to play along with my acoustic guitar. I’m trying to learn some of my favorite songs by the band ‘The The’, particularly the album ‘Mind Bomb’ which features Johnny Marr and Mark Feltham on Harmonica. I’m really struggling to find the harp that has all of the notes on songs like 'The Beat(en) Generation. I bought a used Hohner No. 365 C harp (14 holes) and I can find all but one or two notes. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I’ve watched live performances etc. and still can’t figure out what harps they are playing. Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @GROCK20 and welcome to the forum!

Do you happen to know what the notes are that you cannot play? If you could tell us that, it could help us to help you. :face_with_monocle: :slightly_smiling_face:

Regards,

– Slim

1 Like

Hi Luke,

My name is Quan. I’m 39 years old and live Cleveland Ohio.

My whole adult life I always thought the harmonica is a really cool instrument. I’ve been making impulsive buys of random cheap harmonicas in the past only to have them lost. Recently, I went to a music store to browse for fun and impulsively bought a set of 7 Blues Band harmonicas. My wife joked that it’ll be harder to lose 7 than 1… so… not really sure why this time was different, but I started looking at videos and classes, and came across yours. After the first few lessons, I decided to splurge on a Lee Oskar key of C, and completed your Beginner to Boss course. I recently purchased JP’s course also and plan to dive deep into the Blues harmonica. So, I’m guessing my wife was right. It is harder to lose 7 harmonicas.

Quan

1 Like

Hello, my name is Pam. I live in Denver, CO USA and am excited to start this course. I took 2 of the three free lessons and I have to say it is the best video beginning teaching in musical instruments that I have taken. I look forward to learning the harmonica. I plan on retiring and traveling in the next couple of years, and wanted something small and musical I could travel with.

1 Like

Hey Ed - thanks for the kind words, man. Yes, lol, I know what you mean about teachers making assumptions. Congrats on your progress.

Rock on!
Luke

Hey Rory - welcome to the forum. That’s cool you did bass buzz. Josh is such an amazing teacher! I play bass too (but not as good as Josh.)

Congrats on making the decision to play the harmonica, man. I’d love to have a frothy one with you, but I’m actually on the island of Hawaii, not Oahu.

LMK how the harp is coming along for you.

Rock on,
Luke

Hey there - welcome to the forum! Yes, it sounds like he is playing an F harmonica in 2nd position. However the main riff he’s playing is -4’ -4 4 -3 -3 -3", and the draw 3 whole-step bend at the end is very challenging to play in tune with good tone as Mark Feltham is doing a very fine job of on this recording (and making it sound easy! lol.)

So…if you’re gonna buy a harmonica to play this song, you might want to consider purchasing a Lee Oskar C Melody Maker (the melody maker harps are labeled in 2nd position key.) This harp would allow you to play the last note of the main motif as a blow 3 instead of draw 3 bent a whole step down, and unless you have a LOT of experience bending, I think you might have a lot more fun on the melody maker.

Hey Quan - nice to see you here in the forum. I’m always losing harmonicas myself!

Rock on!
Luke

Hey Pam - thanks so much for your kind words! Yes, the harmonica is THE most portable instrument in the world, and the coolest. Perfect for traveling with. Love the plan!

Keep me posted how Beginner to Boss goes for ya…

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hi y’all.
I’m an old geezer with a young heart and a passion for the blues. I’ve been messing around with the harp for a few years but decided to really go for it during Covid. I have had the pleasure of learning from Luke as well as Ronnie Shellist, Tomlin Leckie and others. My intent is to form a band (Sleazy Bob and the Tormentors) to do the odd gig, etc.
Thanks to all I have met on this fabulous journey.

Robert Chartrand
The Great White North