Introduce Yourself!

hi all I am Rob from Australia. I have tried many times to learn this great instrument. I have a basic knowledge. I find Luke to le a great teacher and have watched his YouTube clips for a while. so why not sign up land have a go. I have no musical talent at all and am tone def but I sound good in the shower.

7 Likes

Hello @tickman1,
good decision to be here in our forum, welcome.
Singing in the shower is nice, but it won’t do your harps any good in the long run… :wink:
Greetings to Australia from Germany and leaves us some New Year’s Eve :smiley:.
Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

happy new year to you. there is plenty to go round. I am 1 hour away form 2024 as I write this. may god bless you all in the new year.

3 Likes

Hello @tickman1,
oh yes, you no Australia are the first. I wish you a good start to the new year, good luck and health.

There will definitely be more pictures of you on our TV later. I’m very excited because there’s a lot of new things in connection with AI.

Until next year! Best Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Thank you toogdog

3 Likes

welcome Rob, my musical talents are the same as yours but I find i am a great singer the more i drink (i think so anyway)

4 Likes

Hello! Frank here. I am a complete new by. I am interested if anyone an offer me thoughts about difference between the EastTop 008K and the 008S.
Many thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Frank. I don’t know anything about them but I am sure you will get an answer soon. Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly helpful people here.

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Hello @Zest, first of all welcome to the forum and have a good time learning the harp.
You can get the 008K for under $20, the 008S is a little more expensive. The difference is in the cover plates and riveted reeds (008k) and welded reeds (008S).

Since I don’t play either model, I can’t write you anything about the practice. But I know that many people like to use the 008k.

Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

@wes Congrats on retiring! I recommend going back to the beginning of Beginner to Boss and starting over, skipping any songs that you don’t like.

@dptufts Wow what an amazing story! SO AWESOME! Very inspiring. Welcome to the forum. Keep on rocking my friend. :metal:t3:

@Swedechariot - Welcome to the forum! I think I may have mentioned this on a post somewhere else, but I think the key to getting any of those solutions to work well is to get a mic stand with a solid base and bold it to a small piece of plywood that you stand on, as the lack of mic stand stability is the fundamental problem with those solutions, in my experience.

What I do on solo and duo gigs, is loop myself playing guitar, and then use my hands to hold the harmonica.

@ncognet0 welcome to the forum. We are so happy to have you here! Aloha from Hawaii.

@jan.waite11 Welcome to the forum my friend! Wait a sec…if you just started the course today you shouldn’t be attempting single notes yet. You’ve skipped ahead! :wink::rofl: You’re just a spring chicken around these parts. You’re gonna get clean single notes if you stay patient and relaxed. :call_me_hand:t3:

@tickman1 welcome from down under Rob. So happy to have you aboard, and look forward to hearing about your progress. God bless you. And you can play plastic combed harmonicas in the shower. :wink:

@Zest hi Frank - welcome to the forum! You know I happened to pick up my 008S and recently and was very impressed by the feel of it. I love how heavy it is. Do you own both? If so, which is your preference? Or are you considering which to buy?

1 Like

Thanks Luke.

2 Likes

Hello all. I changed my name from Zest to just plain Frank. I am a complete newby, and I am 71 years old. I am paraplegic and use a wheelchair. I don’t believe I am too old to learn harmonica, but realize I need to stick with it!
I live in Minnesota, but escape from the winter there to Costa Rica. I purchased a Hohner Blues Harp a couple of years ago, but never did anything with it. I forgot it when packing, so I have ordered the EastTop 008K and am waiting for it to arrive here in Costa Rica. Then I will join the course and see how things go.
Thanks for a great website and friendly attitude.
Am I too old? We’ll see……

2 Likes

Hey, I’m Steve. I’ve been thinking about learning the harmonica for awhile now and found out about this place on the bassbuzz forum.

I’ll probably start this course once I’m finished the beginner to badass bass lessons but will check this place out and learn as much as I can till then.

4 Likes

Wash your mouth out Frank! And stick your harp in it. Too old shmould! Welcome.
Toog

3 Likes

You’ll be able to do your own backing tracks. Very cool plan. I’m sure we’ll hear you playing in no time.

4 Likes

So I’m a intermediate guitar/banjo/lapsteel player and for some reason have decided to torment myself with learning harmonica…tried once before, long ago, gave up and gave away the harmonica…this site looks like it’s worth another try so I am awaiting the arrival.of my Suzuki Folkmaster key of C.
We shall see!

5 Likes

I’m 54 years young and started playing the harmonica consistently about 8 months ago. I’m self taught and enjoying it. Very funny how I got started playing harmonica, I will put the journey in the how you got started playing the harmonica(not sure that’s the exact wording of the topic here). I enjoy reading above others journey etc.

6 Likes

My story is kind of long so bare with me. I have sung karaoke and with live bands before for many years country music. Well a co-worker of mine(Jerry) told me he was in a band called the Cardiac Kidz a punk band from the late 70’s. He has a bad back and asked if I would like to be a roadie for an upcoming show(that was about 6 years ago) so I did and have been doing it ever sense. Well one day one of the remaining original members moved to Colorado( I live in San Diego) so my friend Jerry decided to start a new band called the Rogues of Chaos(on Facebook, Instagram if interested) A rock/pop style band. Well one day he told me he could hear in his mind harmonica in the new song he was working on. So I told him I had been messing around with the harmonica and he told to bring it to the next practice. So i listen to the music and played for him what I thought would work and he liked it. That was last April and we have several gigs and professional studio recording sessions behind us and are looking forward to the new year and what it brings. Thanks for reading this and have a great day.

6 Likes