Introduction8

Hi Everyone my name is Ian Barter and I’m from North East England and I’m about to embark on a journey that I can’t believe I’m doing. I’ve had an harmonica for over 2 year and procrastinated over whether or not to enrol on a course and finally I’ve done it. I can’t believe it.
I feel like I’m starting school all over again and I’m nervous as I don’t want to be the one who fails. So watch this space.
Speak to you all soon.
Regards
Ian

8 Likes

Hello @ianbarter16, first of all, I warmly welcome you to our place. That you hesitated so long means that you thought about it for a long time. You made the right decision and don’t need to be afraid of failure. Here everyone learns as much as they can and you have time. If something is difficult to play today, move on to another place and try later. You will find that it works. Here you have no pressure, nobody laughs at you. On the contrary, we support each other when there are problems, and there are no wrong questions. Get to know your harmonica in peace. You will develop a beautiful friendship. Do you seem young from your username? We are represented here in all age groups. I wish you lots of fun and success with your lessons and with us. Take it as relaxation and tranquility for this little magical instrument. My name is Astrid, I am 58 years old and come from Germany. Best regards to you. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Astrid
Thank you for your warm welcome, I’m 65 years old and have had a yearning to play an instrument for as long as I can remember, but I’ve never had the confidence
This is my chance to shine.
Kind regards
Ian

7 Likes

@ianbarter16, well then you are in the prime of life. We older have the advantage of knowing a lot of riffs or songs from the past and being able to whistle. This brings significant relief when learning the harp. The tips from @Luke are important, especially at the beginning, to stay relaxed while breathing and in your shoulders. That goes into your subconscious.
I started with the harmonica at the beginning of September and since 15.09. I am here and despite the breaks, thanks to the very well structured lessons, I am relaxed, but making good progress.
You have the advantage of speaking English. I had to find mine again, but it works.
We read and please write if there are problems or questions.

4 Likes

That’s very kind of you. I don’t always feel in my prime but I’m going to give it my best shot. I’ve never been so inspired.
Kind regards
Ian

4 Likes

@ianbarter16, please be so good and mark the user with since @address. Without it, he or she may not find your answer or comment. For me it was a coincidence now that I am up to date. It happened to me at the beginning too, so nothing dramatic. Every beginning is difficult. Good luck!

3 Likes

Hello @ianbarter16 , very nice to meet you :slight_smile:

I agree with @AstridHandbikebee63 this is a very welcoming community

7 Likes

Hi @Vibe
Thank you for you kind words.
I’m looking forward to the coming days and months. I’m inspired by what I’ve read
So far.
Take and stay safe
Ian

6 Likes

Hey Everyone my name Jared I have been trying to play harmonica off and on for a couple of years now. I always seem to get frustrated when it comes to individual notes…:frowning: I seem.to get them better with puckering but not fast, I Want so hard to get down tongue blocking but it gets so difficult. But I an not someone who gives up easily I will conquer this instrument. Nice to meet everyone. Oh yeah I am married 6 years now and have a 16 month old daughter. I am 39 and excited to see where these lessons go. Would love to meet fellow harmonica players. My goal is in the blues area but I just want to be able to play!! Lol

7 Likes

@JRodRob39 Hello Jared, very nice to meet you :slight_smile:

I too thought single notes were hard, but with the right amount of technique and exercise everything becomes easier

3 Likes

That is what I keep hoping for.

3 Likes

I find myself trying to hard at times which just makes matters worse. I was up to Module 3 and still not understanding alot of it so did Module 2 over from scratch and found alot that I completely missed or didn’t understand but the light finally came on, abit dimmer in some areas but at least it’s on! Appears quite a few retired folks, myself included taking the course. Sure do enjoy it and seem to do better the next day on things I couldn’t do the day before.

4 Likes

Hey Ian - welcome to the forum my man. So happy to have you here, and good for you for taking the leap of faith. Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Hey Jared - welcome to the forum. Yeah, any time we’re learning a new technique it can be SO FRUSTRATING. UGH. But as others are saying, stick with it and before you know it it become easy.

…But by then of course you’re working on a NEW technique that is SO FRUSTRATING. lol. So the trick to it all is to enjoy the journey and HAVE FUN working on what you’re working on.

Can’t wait to hear updates. YOU GOT THIS.

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes