Is tongue block easier on protruding reed (ie. special 20s) or recessed reed (ie. crossover) harps?

Is tongue block easier on protruding reed (ie. special 20s) or recessed reed (ie. crossover) harps?

By protruding reed, I’m talking about how the special 20 reed extends in front of the cover plate. On the recess reed on the crossover, the cover plate is a tiny amound in front of the reed.

I’m a developing player using mostly pucker. I see the value in tongue block and would like to try to transition to that for the bulk of my playing.

I had a chance to try a few different harps and I like the protuding reed harmonicas (special 20, rocket, etc.) better than the recessed reed harps (crossover, etc.) but I’m curious if thats because I’m a pucker player mostly now.

Are the recessed reed harps like the crossover easier to play for tongue block players?

Thanks! Doug

Hey Doug - good stuff man. I don’t think one is easier to play tongue blocking than the other. I play all the models you mention here in your post tonguing with ease. So no worries there! Keep going with what inspires you!

Aloha,
Luke