Jamming Pop opposed to Blues

Having taken the development and playing courses plus learning the theory of blues. I am wondering what I should be doing next. Being a 72-year-old, newbie to intermediate, learning blues but preferring Pop and low-end Rock I want to play in amateur, jamming sessions with other fun group musicians. I understand the chorus but am trying to work out a system of how I support the fun group as a harmonica player. Blues has the 12-bar system, is there a system for pop etc. or is it similar principles? I can’t find any courses on this subject and any ideas would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Hey Craig - did you ever do or look into Beginner to Boss? I think I teach something like 60 songs or something throughout the course, and only a few of them are Blues.

If you have questions about how to approach playing on particular songs that are popping up regularly at jam sessions, ask away my friend!

2 Likes

Thanks Luke. This seems interesting and some of the songs are of interest to me. Not knowing the depth of the course I have a few questions:-

1. Can I dovetail into the course so I dont have to start from the beginner phase? I view myself as an intermediate and enjoy tongue blocking, bending, warbling etc. etc.
    2.) Jamming ~ Accompaniment, Improvising, timing, etc.
    3.) Positions between blues, country, and rock. Selecting positions for song tempo’s?
    4.) Establishing a good resource for backing tracks for the songs you have?
    I realize it’s good to always go back to improve on basic skills but I don’t want to start from the absolute beginning if that makes sense. I am at that stage of where should I go and do next even getting the confidence to Jam in an old guy shuffle band for fun ( I am 72) .
    Thanks
2 Likes

Hey Craig - I’ve responded in bold below:

Yeah, I hear ya! That would be awesome! There used to be big band (15 piece) called the Olliephonics that I used to sit in with on harmonica. It was A BLAST!!!

Beginner to Boss has a money back guarantee so if the price isn’t prohibitive, it sounds like it might be worth giving it a shot.

Also, please don’t hesitate to post songs you’re curious about best position for playing, etc. right here in the forum.

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Done Thanks

3 Likes