King Biscuit Blues Fest, Helena, AR

Thinking of going, any one been there? They have done it since 1985, I think.

2 Likes

I’ve never been. Keep us posted!

1 Like

Can’t go this year, hoping next first week of October usually?

2 Likes

Aw bummer. I heard it’s a bigger festival, but the harmonica portion of it is quite small, like 20 students or less, which I think would be cool. It sounds like a great event, and I do believe it is around this time every year. Keep us posted.

1 Like

My wife’s cousin went. I didn’t have the time. I’ll get the skinny from him later, hopefully next year, I can go. He told me some harp fest thing somewhere else, forgot what he said, will ask when he gets back.

1 Like

Yes keep us posted @greenstamps. I

1 Like

I was there because I wanted to see Mr. Robert Lockwood Jr. It may have been 1986 or 87. Now that seems like a long time ago.

I was fortunate to see Mr. Lockwood a number of times and spend time with he and his wife Annie. I just thought it would be more interesting to see him in Helena. I used to go to West Helena in 1969 when I worked with a record company in Memphis and it was a “lively” town. Lockwood, playing blues on a 12-string, was great and “the rest of the fest” was aight.

With time and the passing of the blues guys I liked, the festival has changed greatly. Lots of stages, lots of acts. I’m sure many blues focused people would enjoy the musical variety and vibe. The good news is that unlike some “blues festivals” they haven’t switched to rock headliner lineups to sell tickets. It remains blues and gospel.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @BnT

1 Like