Learning 'Fields of Gold' by ear

I was trying to find some reference to fields of gold on the forum. Maybe it’s been discussed and maybe the tabs are here somewhere, but I couldn’t find it.
It’s a great song and Eva Cassidy did a beautiful cover of it also.
I decided to try learning it without tabs, just play it by ear. I’m determined to learn it 80 - 90 % before I yield to the tab gods and check my work. It’s coming along really well. Actually, it’s a pretty simple and repetitive tune but I’m so pleased and amazed that I’m getting it. I never would have thought I was capable. It seems like I can play it with more passion or feeling too, having got there (not all of it yet) on my own. Thanks mostly to the advice that I receive on this forum.

6 Likes

That’s great. I would love to find the tabs on that song! Let us know how you are doing with it.

2 Likes

Hi @bjdas, I have pretty much achieved what I set out to do. Got 80% by ear, then checked online for other people’s tabs. It was mainly the bridge that I was very unsure about.
I’m not claiming that I’ve produced a novel version of it, or that I play it well. It was just about the process, right?
My handwritten sheet is a mess of cross outs and corrections,
but if you really want me to share my tabs, I can do so. Just don’t set your expectations too high. I aint no Luke.

4 Likes

HaHa! Yes, that would be great! You seem to be choosing some of the very same songs I want to play. No hurry. Thank you!

4 Likes

@bjdas, there are so many beautiful songs; too many, and I’m impatient to learn. Some are too difficult for me, but I found this one to be pretty easy. Hence my little project to learn it without tabs.
I have cut out half the verses, otherwise there are too many. It works in the song because there’s different lyrics, but I think it becomes too repetitive when just playing harmonica. You can add them back in if you want.
There’s an instrumental bit in Sting’s original, sounds like a flute I think, and Eva Cassidy sings it as ooh oooh ooh, I don’t know what it’s called, a prelude, interlude? Someone will tell me; I’m calling it a doohickey until then. I’ve included it three times, you can insert them wherever you want, or leave them out.
I’m still not sure about the bridge. I’m open to corrections.

7 -7 -6 6 6
7 -7 -6 6 -6
4-6 6 6 4 5 6
7-7 -6 6 6
7-7 -6 6 6
4-4-5 5 5 -4 4

doohickey 7…-7 -6 6 -5 6 -5 5

7 -7 -6 6 6
7 -7 -6 6 -6
4-6 6 6 4 5 6
7-7 -6 6 6
7-7-6 6 6
4 -5 5 5 -4 -4

Bridge
6 6 6 6 -6 6 6 6 4
6 6 6 6 -6 6 6 6 4
4 6 6 6 6 6 -5 5
4 -5 5 5 -4 4
4 -5 5 5 -4 4

7 -7 -6 6 6
7 -7 -6 6 -6
4-6 6 6 4 5 6
7-7 -6 6 6
7-7 -6 6 6
4 -5 5 5 -4 4
4 -4 5 -5 5 5 -4 4
-4 5 -5 5 5 -4 4

2 Likes

We would love to hear you.

2 Likes

Hmmm, don’t get your hopes up @toogdog, I never said that I play it well. Just that for reasons unclear to me, my subconscious music brain, which I didn’t know I had, has recently started translating tunes to the harmonica without being front of mind aware of what I’m doing. Sadly, my lips and lungs are still lagging behind in beginner mode. Hopefully I will bring it all together one day. I can say that it’s a joy to be able to play this song without thinking in numbers.

2 Likes

Thanks so much PC! Can’t wait to try it. Just curious…what Key Harp are you using for this song?

1 Like

You’re welcome @bjdas. I learned it on my C harmonica and thought that sounded Ok until I recorded myself. Playing it back was a slap in the face as usual and I switched to my A harmonica. I think that sounds better. perhaps someone with a better ear than me will instruct us both.
Play it slow and try to hold those notes where appropriate. It’s a beautiful song, I hope you enjoy playing it.

2 Likes

@PapaCurly
@bjdas

Personal favorite for me on Harptabs…

I play it in ‘C’, and it still sounds good. It is supposed to be played on a ‘D’ harp.

4 Likes