Lee Oskar With Andrew Zajac Comb

Have any of you guys put an Andrew Zajac Comb on a Lee Oskar?

I’m thinking of doing it to a minor harp. I can get both Harp and Comb for 56 quid same price as a Manji in minor.

Any thoughts.

3 Likes

I much prefer Manji harmonicas to Lee Oscar’s - sound, materials, playability, durability, etc. Manji features well designed/made resin combs, so as much as I like Zajac combs as a treat, it’s not worth trading the harmonica hardware.

4 Likes

Dai,

Here’s a cut using a Cm Manji with stock, resin comb. Nice band. No accounting for the vocal or harp playing.:pray:

5 Likes

It’s not recommended to change the stock recessed comb on a Lee Oskar, Hohner Special 20, or Hohner Rocket series with an Andrew Zajac comb. The official disclaimer on Rockin’ Ron’s says that they will lose a bit of airtightness because there aren’t grooves in the reed plates. However, if you want a custom comb for a Lee Oskar, Blue Moon Harmonicas offers metal (aluminum and brass), corian, and acrylic combs for them.

5 Likes

Good tip. After seeing that I checked Zajac’s website and they apparently agree stating this:
*Note: For best overall performance, don’t change the comb of a Lee Oskar harmonica. I recommend using the stock ABS comb and work to get better performance by using The Reed Plate Claws™ to straighten reed plates.

I only offer Lee Oskar combs because some hobbyists like to experiment with the tonal qualities of switching from an ABS “recessed” comb to a solid surface “sandwich-type” comb.*

Lee Oskar harmonica reed plates were designed to be used with a recessed comb. These reed plates do not have a groove into which the coverplate can lock in. Although you can install these reed plates onto a “sandwich-type” comb, you may experience a loss of airtightness if the coverplates become bent. You will find some useful tip on converting these harmonicas here. (Sandwich-type harmonica tips and tricks)

4 Likes

Just bought a Baby Fat in A Minor just waiting for it to arrive. If I go for anymore in future looks like it’ll be the Manji.

Cheers guys for all the advice.

3 Likes

I installed a brass comb on a Rocket. Amazing seal and volume.
Robert :canada:

4 Likes

I had never seen a Baby Fat. Pretty cool at that price. If it makes it through a dozen gigs it was worth the cost.

3 Likes

Ye baby Fat does look cool. It’s one of those harps I’ve always wanted.

3 Likes

It’s not only a good price: the tone quality is top of the list !! In my opinion Lee Oskar, East Top and several other well known companies need to find a way to match it. :point_left:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I liked it. Real COOL

3 Likes

@BnT thanks for sharing that song man! NICE!! :sunglasses: I love your solo. Great use of space. Tasty. And love that nasty baritone sax.
@purplecanoe2 welcome to the forum! Glad to have ya here.

1 Like

Tnx - very informative. :grinning:

2 Likes

@BnT are the Manji’s labelled in first or second position. I want to get an A Natural Minor in second position. Lee Oskar, I’d order an A natural minor.

Not sure what to order in a Manji. Been told they label there Natural Minor harps in first position.

1 Like