Lip balm

Is this a good idea for sticky lips or should I avoid

I would assume that it might gunk up the holes on the harmonica, but then I am only new to the instrument, so maybe someone with more experience than myself can give you a more definitive answer.

My lips often become very chapped, particularly in the winter. I use lip balm as needed with no problems.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really see any problem with it. If you are using the deep relaxed mouth position, your lips should be deep on the cover plates, so it shouldn’t really have any way to get inside the holes and muck up the reeds.

I’d say, if it feels better to play with it, go right ahead!

2 Likes

@Luke And in case anything (say lip balm) makes its way into the holes, is it OK to use water to clean a hohner crossover every day? I saw one comment that it was OK to use tap water, but I am not sure how frequently is too much.

Hi @diego.and.aguirre,

Cleaning a Marine Band Crossover every day might be a bit extreme, but as long as you do not let the comb remain in the water for an extended time there should probably not be a problem. The Crossover has a triple lacquered bamboo comb. For harps with plastic or metal combs there is no problem with soaking them in water, but with wood or bamboo you need to be aware that the material can swell, become distorted in shape and even crack (despite the excellent work that Hohner does sealing these combs).

Therefore, to be on the safe side, if you find it necessary to clean the reeds so regularly (like every day) then you would be best advised to remove the reed plates (leaving the reeds attached, of course) and cleaning them (with warm water that has a few drops of dish washing soap in it, because that will assist removal of substances such as lip balm). Let the plates dry completely before screwing them back onto the comb.

While the reed plates are soaking and then drying, you can devote your attention to the comb and do your best to wipe it clean, using an old tooth brush or even a small knife blade (be careful not to scrape off any wood or lacquer!) to remove any dry deposits that you find.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great, this answers my question perfectly

2 Likes

Yeah @slim is the man on this stuff. As he mentioned, the Crossover is TRIPLE lacquered so and also is BAMBOO, which I believe is the most water resistant wood. All to say, it provides the most hearty resistance to water of any wooden comb harmonicas on the market to my knowledge.

I wouldn’t hesitate to run it under water if you think something got into one of the holes.

HOWEVER, if you are using the Deep Relaxed Mouth Position, the only place that the lip balm should really end up most of the time is on the cover plates, which can just be wiped with a soft clean cloth.

Hope that helps!

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Before I started this course (yesterday), I was using the lip pucker method to get single notes. Two problems arose: I could only play for about 15 minutes until my cheek muscles got strained, and my lip balm got all over and in my harp. I had to use an ultrasonic cleaner on my Special 20. Two fixes: I signed up for B to B, and learned the Deep Relaxed Mouth Position, and I wipe the balm off before I start to play. No cheek fatigue, and no lip balm everywhere. Thanks SO much for this course!

4 Likes

Hi @pastorbk. I live in Arizona where the humidity is very low, so my harp dries very quickly, causing my lips to stick. I’ve started spraying water on my harp with a “spritzer” bottle. It has really helped me a bunch.

5 Likes

RIGHT ON @pastorbk !

1 Like