Long may you run

Hey Luke! Aloha man. I was hoping that you could do a video for us beginners with your Yoda like chops for the Neil Young song Long May you Run? I love the harmonica in this tune and its laid back drawn out feel. Thanks dude!

-Craig

1 Like

Itā€™s Giday Mate from me but Iā€™m also a beginner with the same request. Come on Luke, you know you want to. I would love to learn ā€˜Long May you Runā€™ and you are the best teacher that I have found.
Papa Curly (Craige)

2 Likes

Hi again Craig
Iā€™m sure Luke is a busy Man with too many requests to please us all.
Have you had any success finding the tabs for this song?
The opening solo especially is wicked and i would love to be able to play it well.
I have found a few conflicting sources so Iā€™m really not sure whatā€™s correct.
Itā€™s not sounding quite right but that might be just my lack of talent.

Regards
Craige

2 Likes

Harptabs.com is always a good place to start the search! Keep me postedā€¦

2 Likes

Thank You Luke, very kind of you to reply to me here on the other side of the earth.
Iā€™ve found a few different posts on Harpstabs and another from George Goodman whose talent is great but his tutelage not so much; not for a beginner anyway.
One thing I have noticed about Neil Young is that he seems to play it differently every time, so it depends on which performance youā€™re listening to. No wonder I get confused. However, on Harpstabs there are also 3 different keys suggested. C, D & G.
Iā€™ve been using a Special 20 in D and it sounds like the right key to me, but what do I know? For now, Iā€™ve settled on this for the opening solo:

5 -4 4 -4 5 4
5 6 -6 -6 6 5 -4 -4
5 6 6 -6 -6 6 5
-4 4 4 -4 5
-4 -4 5 4

Hoping someone will correct me, if necessary, before I practice too long with the wrong tabs.

Regards
Craige

3 Likes

Hey Craige! other than harp tabs, this video is the best ive found. He does a decent job. Good luck man!

Cheers,
Craig

5 Likes

Thanks Craig,
Yes, he does a decent job of it. Iā€™d be happy to play harmonica as well as him. He manages to play guitar at the same time. Posted the tabs too, so we canā€™t ask for much more than that. Itā€™s a great tune. Hopefully I can become half good at it. Good luck to you too.

Regards
Craige

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been practicing this song and doing OK I think. Special 20 in D
Not sounding like Neil Young (or George Goodman) but at last I feel like I can play the instrument. One problem is that I run out of breath. I know Iā€™ll never be a good musician, but I recorded myself as suggested by a few members and agree it helps a lot. I made a few adjustments after playing them back. I tried to attach a recording to get some opinions, but it seems itā€™s in the wrong format so would not upload. Probably just as well, I might have embarrassed myself. Anyway, Iā€™m having fun with it and thatā€™s good enough for me.
Iā€™ve ordered a Golden Melody in C and looking forward to learning a tune on that.

Craige

2 Likes

@PapaCurly just upload the recording to YouTube (you can keep it private if you want) and then post a link hereā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I have been looking for ā€œLong May You Run,ā€ and also ā€œBlood Brothersā€ by Bruce Springsteen. I appreciate you coming up with these tabs. A great start!

2 Likes

Hi bjdas, yeah, the intro is awesome and probably itā€™s the one that drew me to playing harmonica. Neil Young has some great tunes; Heart of Gold is great also and Luke provides some terrific free tutelage on this forum. If youā€™re just beginning, I highly recommend you look at that. Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t find anything for Blood Brothers but hopefully someone else can help.
Is this your first post? If so, welcome.

3 Likes

Hey PapaCurly, Yes, itā€™s my first post and thank you. I am enjoying Lukeā€™s lessons and also his instruction on Heart of Gold. Yeah, no luck with Blood Brothersā€“but itā€™s such a great harp solo, Iā€™m going to keep looking.

4 Likes

Aloha @bjdas - welcome to our community.

56 -56 56 -45 45 56

-56 56 -45 45 34

-34 34 -34 34

And then he just repeats that draw-blow-draw-blow rhtymn and plays with opening his moth wider to include more and more higher holes.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Hey Luke, Thatā€™s great! I should be able to go from there. So, guessing a Harp in key of D for this? I really only have C harps (beginner) but ready to move on to other keys and not sure where to start. Thank you so much for providing those tabs, Luke! What a great guy! Love this forum.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly D harp. Or you could download the Amazing Slow Downer or Transcribe! and lower the pitch of the song 2 semitones.

Links to those resources are in this post:

4 Likes