Low E!

Has anyone tried a Low E harp?
Is Lee Oskar the only brand making them?
Very tempted, only the price is holding me back! (Mind you, I’ve seen Lee Oskar’s at higher prices)

4 Likes

Hi Dave @Dave_Dunn

Believe it or not, I bought a Hohner Rocket Low in E by mistake!! A brain fart made me think it was in Eb … but I really liked it. I did go and order Rocket Low reed plates in Eb and use that more often when playing with my jazz buddies (Bb in 2nd position, Fmin in 3rd position, Cmin in 4th position & Gmin in 5th).

Both E & Eb sound terrific – so I bought another Rocket Low in D !! I love it too!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi @Dave_Dunn and @Slim

I have a Lee Oskar, low E, and I love it, I agree with Slim, that it sounds terrific, and if I could go lower I would

4 Likes

@Dave_Dunn @Slim I have a Lee Oskar Lo E and find it very useful. At the moment it’s getting a flogging in ‘I Walk The Line’ which we are playing in three keys - just like Johnny Cash does. We do an intro verse and two vocal verses in E (it’s a 1st position song) and the Lo E really adds depth that the normal E is is too high to achieve. And the -3" (in the last line) isn’t too hard to achieve - I have issues bending on the bottom end of my Lo C and Lo D (both Manjis).

Sort of related: I was at a jam Wed last, and one of the harp players used a Lo Lo F (yep, two x Lo). He played the intro to ‘I Want To Walk You Home’ (Fats Domino version) on the bottom end and it sounded unreal. Almost ‘bagpipe drone’ like - but that might have been the reed vibrating against the cover plate!

4 Likes

@Maka , that sounds good!
One of my guitarists has chosen Walk the Line to add to our acoustic jam list, it’d be nice to add some harp. I sang it in my solo shows, but just with basic rhythm guitar, and not bothering with the key changes, but he’s getting the guitar parts down as performed on the album. You can’t go wrong with a bit of Johnny Cash!

3 Likes

@Dave_Dunn Yessir, I own a Lee Oskar Low E. Love it!

Here’s the keys for the original Walk the Line:
V1: F (Low F highly recommended :wink:)
V2: Bb
V3: Eb
V4: Bb
V5: F

@Slim oh wow that’s very interesting, I never considered a Low Eb because Lee Oskar does not make the flats in the Low Tunings. I know Hohner and Seydel doo. Hohner does the Rocket Low’s (blue combs) and also the Thunderbirds. I can remember what the Thunderbirds are - are they low tuned Crossovers?

@Maka - Oooooohhhh Lo Lo F. In Hawaiian “Lolo” means “crazy.” So I think this would be an appropriate time to say “That’s Lolo brah!” I’m guessing it was a Seydel? I think they’re the only ones who go that low?

3 Likes

Hi Luke @Luke

I think that is correct. The Thunderbirds also have the lower cover more elevated/further away from the low draw reeds to prevent those long low reeds from hitting the cover.

The Hohner Thunderbird seems to also be available as a low low F (they mention it as LFF).

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes