Mama Don't (Take No Mess)

As you may know, in addition to the harmonica, music production is another passion of mine, and my favorite artist that I get to produce is a talented composer, singer, and trumpeter ,who is also my wife, Andrea - her stage name is Ann Hoku Lyn.

In fact I was terrified when I began to fall in love with her because I thought like so many relationships do, it could go bad and then I wouldn’t be able to make music with her any more! Well, we’re 10 years in and so far, so good. :wink:

Anyway, I recently produced a fun upbeat funk song and video for her called Mama Don’t (Take No Mess).

There’s no harmonica in it. But I thought you might enjoy checking out the video, to see what else I’m up to, and also cuz my son Iz and I both have cameo’s in it. lol

Of course, if you love the video, please like and subscribe and share it with a mama who can relate.

You can check it out here.

9 Likes

I LOVE it, Luke! :star_struck: Tell Andrea that she really sounds great. I was friends with a very talented trumpet/flugelhorn player back in the day. She perhaps knows of him: Cecil Bridgewater, or his wife (I think they are no longer together, but I might be wrong): the great singer Dee Dee Bridgewater (late 1960’s-early '70s in Urbana, IL at the Univ of Illinois).

Regards,

– Slim

2 Likes

Thanks, Slim! I passed on your kind words, and she did know Cecil Bridgewater’s name.
Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Yeah, Cecil went on to play with the Horace Silver group and others. I think that in terms of absolute success and name recognition, his wife Dee Dee topped him. But Cecil was really good – and my favorite Trumpet/Flügelhorn player :+1:

Regards,

– Slim

2 Likes

Cool video. snappy tune . . .

2 Likes

Hey @Luke, ich liebe es! Es ist viel Spaß, aber mit :wink: zum wahren Leben.
Dankeschön für das Vorstellen! Sage bitte Andrea herzliche Grüße von mir und ich habe ihre Botschaft als Frau sehr gut verstanden!
Ihr beiden seid ein gutes Team!

1 Like

Whoa! Love the song. I liked and subscribed. Question for @Luke, Is that you on the guitar and behind the sunglasses and ZZ Top baby beard at the 3 minute mark?

1 Like

Lol @dm1usnret yessir that’s me with the ZZ Top Baby Beard. :joy:

And yes I’m playing guitar on the track. I also produced, engineered, and mixed it as I am on all the Ann Hoku Lyn stuff thus far.

Thanks for the love.

Rock on,
Luke😎

1 Like

You sir, are a true renaissance man. Thank you for the reply, and for all you do for us humble harmonica students. Let me know if you are ever in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Would love to met you and yours. Keep on keeping on.

2 Likes

I’m from New Orleans and I like the vid, we would call that “Uptown Funky.”

2 Likes

I came across that tune on YouTube myself and I keep playing it
That’s a real fun tune that rocks!

5 Likes

Thanks Guys!

3 Likes

Great song! Very crisp production too!
Apart from needing harmonica, I couldn’t have enjoyed it more! :grin::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks man! :facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

I’m diggin’ AHL’s music! Watched all the music videos. Love Rebel is slammin!

2 Likes

Great! I’ve sent the link to my saxophone playing son in law!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much @KeithH! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing it @jeffw!

I’m finalizing the mix on the next one, another funky one with horns called “Come Home to Your Diner”. I’ll post a link here when it’s out in August.

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes