Motivation

I have a dilemma. I am really learning a lot with Luke’s B&B course. I understand that he is giving us a wide range of knowledge and techniques. But I don’t know how much time I should spend on each topic. For example, do I just get the idea of tongue slapping to where I can do it slowly and then more on OR do I stick to it until I am fairly proficient. I’m good at clean notes. Pretty good at scales. I can bend but not real easily. The rest, I have the technique but an FAR from good at it and would not incorporate it a jam. Should I just keep going? I’m stuck.

4 Likes

Hello @ingog,
since everyone learns differently, it’s difficult to give you a real tip.
Some understand the theory perfectly but cannot put it into practice and others who do not use “instructions for use” and start building directly.
With your comment I have the feeling that you are putting yourself under pressure?
Relax first!:man_in_lotus_position: Then you’ll definitely notice during the lessons that one thing suits you more and the other doesn’t. You have access to the lessons forever.
First go through them completely in CALM, take notes, mark them with + or -. Consolidate the lessons with + and come back to the difficult ones later.
If you can play the lessons that are easier for you, come back to the negative ones and you will notice that they are easier to play now.
And remember, stay calm. :smiley:
Astrid wishes you many relaxing hours :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Very good suggestions. I just needed a plan. I wasn’t stressed. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @ingog - your decision on what to practice dictates who you will become as a harmonica player in the future. It’s very important to follow your intuition and your inspiration on the musical journey. One thing that I love about learning music is that for me it’s seldom a straight line. Go over here learn ABC then go over there XYZ, then some time later realize how ABC and XYZ are actually connected. It’s part of the fun of it all.

So #1 priority: STAY INSPIRED, and keep growing.

Having said that:

1.) Some people have gained A LOT by going all the way back to the beginning and doing the WHOLE COURSE again. Some people have even done this several time, and have said they get more out of it each time. And that’s how I designed it. Every lesson has layers where there’s a basic lesson for a total newbie, but there are also some little nuggets to challenge someone who has been playing longer.

#2.) What do you REALLY want to be able to do. Is there a song you want to learn and commit to memory. Do you want to be able to improvise? Setting a goal for yourself helps the answer to your question become more clear.

LMK your thoughts.

Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

Thanks Luke. That was very helpful. Of course you designed a course to attempt to meet the needs of the wide variety of participants. I now see that rather than me getting exasperated at the quantity of information and techniques, I will us this a survey of most important aspects of the “world of the harmonica”. I will complete the course and THEN pick and choose what I find useful for me at that time. Its was silly of me to think I could, or should, feel the responsibility of being good at each lesson right away ( which you remind us of often). After reading what you wrote, it seems obvious now. You could have easily made this at least 10 different courses. Rather you did the best thing and made this good for the masses. I now realize as my goals change, I have a blueprint to follow. This course isn’t a pamphlet or a book. It’s an encyclopedia.

3 Likes

Right on my friend. Yes exactly! It’s intended to be an encyclopedia with a introduction to all the different ways you could could continue to explore the harmonica. Rock on. :metal:t3:

2 Likes