Muddy waters

Anybody help out with the Muddy Waters song “Deep down in Florida”…looking for tabs and Key to play this awesome song

2 Likes

Im pretty sure it is in C. It sounds pretty difficult.

4 Likes

Listening to this Muddy Waters recording, “Deep Down in Florida” is in A on a D blues harp played in cross position (2nd position). On a different Muddy Waters recording (<- this one) it is in G played on a C blues harp.

Have fun with it.

4 Likes

Hey @stansniper168 - Welcome to the forum! I hope you don’t mind I changed your category from “technique” to “theory” because “tabs” is considered a “theory” topic.

I listened to the one @Carlos1 posted from Muddy “Mississippi” Waters Live album, on a D harmonica as @Carlos1 said, which I believe is Jerry Portnoy? I hear it as:

-2 -3’-3 -14 25 36 -3’-3 -14 25 -14

The one from Hard Again album James Cotton uses less splits, more just the top number on the splits: -2 -3’-3 -4 5 6 -3’-3 -4 5 -4 and then he messes around with the -4’ -4 -4’ -3’ -2 lick a lot.

BTW - these are the two Muddy Waters I listened to most in High School. Rock on!

3 Likes

Wow. Amazing. Can you tell all that from listening to it?
I tried one of those apps to pick up the key. It said C. Then if you play the same tune again it gives you a different answer. Not much use.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info…

3 Likes

Thanks Luke!.. I’ll see what I can do with the song… If I get it down I’ll send you a link on YouTube if me performing it!

3 Likes

Thanks!.. Yeah it sounds simple at first… But if you isolate the harp…it’s actually difficult.

3 Likes

Hi @stansniper168

I listened to the two videos that @Carlos1 mentioned and it seems that the one where James Cotton is on the harp might be the easier one. Put your own spin on it and don’t feel bound to play it exactly as either video has it.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Agreed! The James Cotton one is the one I learned in high school. It’s a blast and easier cos you don’t have to do any tongue blocking to play it. Thanks @Slim!

2 Likes