Multiple instructors

Hi guys. I’m after peoples thoughts on having two harp instructors at the same time. I’m not new to the harp.
I’m getting impatient and I’m thinking of doing the blues course while I’m doing B2B.instead of after, as was my original plan. When I was young I would learn multiple instruments at the same time, so that meant different instructors. Now I’ve realised it’s not @Luke who does the blues tutorials. I’m in need of some direction if two instructors will make no difference, enhance learning, or clash in my poor little head. All advice appreciated

1 Like

@stonestone63, you look here:

1 Like

Thanks @AstridHandbikebee63 I looked at that and realised that it’s not @Luke . It’s the two instructors on the same instrument I’m agonising over :crocodile:

1 Like

The Breakthrough Blues course was made before Luke took over Harmonica.com. The original instructor and founder of the website is a guy from Hawaii named JP Allen. This was before he had a massive accident while biking and during the time when I started harmonica. Luke used to run his own Youtube channel called Funkyharp before eventually getting asked by JP to continue the legacy of harmonica.com.
I actually have two harmonica teachers: a one-on-one instructor for paid lessons and a Youtube instructor for free lessons. Many people know who is my paid teacher, the talented Todd Parrott, but my Youtube teacher is Jason Ricci. The way I use two instructors that I take private lessons to learn songs I want to play with the occasional by-ear recommendation and use Youtube to check up on or learn a technique I may or may not have tried for myself

3 Likes

Hello there @KeroroRinChou I’m aware Todd is your one on one instructor. I’m green with envy, I’m in awe of him. Mr Parrot blows me away with his talent. I always appreciate what you have to say. You now have me leaning towards it, but I need to think about it more. I tend to overthink everything other than the the words I allow to escape my mouth. Thank you :grin:

3 Likes

In my opinion, it’s fine (and a good thing) to have multiple instructors but it’s pretty hard to follow more than one learning schedule diligently at the same time. After completing B2B, I signed up with Dave Barrett’s blues course, which is very intensive (and emphasizes tongue blocking). At the same time, I do stray here and there to do specific lessons of interest from other instructors (Luke, Jason Ricci, Adam Gussow) but I think its good to have one core at a time so you can focus, but allow for others to peek in here and there. The most important thing is to keep it fun, which Luke did for me, so add whatever you need to keep motivated.

5 Likes

Thanks @KeithH I believe you and @KeroroRinChou have led me to a decision. You guys should get jobs on the Harmonicaland sales team.

On the subject of fun. I don’t anything these days unless it’s fun. Even the rats here are starting complaining about the state of my house :rat::rat::rat::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

We’ll put!

1 Like