Music - Not as Important as the Air You Breathe (But Close!)

600x400

“Music has the ability to crack your heart open like a walnut; it can make you cry over sadness you didn’t know you had. Music can slip beneath our conscious reality to get at what’s really going on inside us the way a good therapist does.” :heart:

Inspiring words from Karl Paulnack, pianist and director of music division at Boston Conservatory, which he gave during a welcome address to the parents of incoming Freshman students.

It’s well worth taking 5 minutes out of your day to listen to the whole speech. Here’s my take…

Have you ever gone through a difficult time and have a song bring, comfort, healing, hope, or catharsis? I know I have many times. It’s mysterious the way invisible vibrations can impact us…

“The Greeks said that music and astronomy were two sides of the same coin. Astronomy was seen as the study of relationships between observable, permanent, external objects, and music was seen as the study of relationships between invisible, internal, hidden objects. Music has a way of finding the big, invisible moving pieces inside our hearts and souls and helping us figure out the position of things inside us.”

And have you ever seen the way musical vibrations create geometrical patterns in sand?!

The unexpected beauty we see in these patterns is a great illustration of how music moves us in unexpected ways. Paulnack goes on to say:

“I have come to understand that music is not part of “arts and entertainment” as the newspaper section would have us believe. It’s not a luxury, a lavish thing that we fund from leftovers of our budgets….Music is a basic need of human survival. Music is one of the ways we make sense of our lives, one of the ways in which we express feelings when we have no words, a way for us to understand things with our hearts when we can’t with our minds.”

My point here is to encourage you: KEEP PLAYING MUSIC! There might be voices inside of your head, or inside of your home, telling you to quit. The resistance an artist must overcome internally and externally is formidable, as Steven Pressfield writes about cogently in his book The War of Art.

To play music is an act of resistance against all the troubling news we constantly have to face in our lives and in our world. Music takes negative experiences and transforms them into something that brings unity, hope, and beauty into the chaos.

So, as I often say at the end of my videos:

Keep on playing the harmonica, and making the world a better place.

7 Likes

I believe we are meant to be musical, as God has placed a metronome in our chest cavity that keeps the beat of our life.

5 Likes

You should look into Native spirituality.

3 Likes

Wow. Beautiful. And what a responsibility.
Art is so many things. It is the truth within us, and the truth around us. With history, art tells the truth, the rest is written by the victors.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Never heard that before. :pray:t3:

4 Likes

Just made it up. I’m a visual artist as well, like many people I use many mediums to express myself, and realised that the art of a period and/or time or place is like a current affairs show. Particularly where people do not have the right to a voice, it’s the only way they can express themselves. Thanks for your comment brother :grin:

5 Likes

correction, SOME PEOPLE, because I am forced to punish the innocent with my tone death concoctions in order to practice Haha I think I’m getting better at least.

2 Likes

Hi @HarpieLady yes, the arts record much cruelty :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Truer words have never been spoken. I wanted to dedicate my life to music ever since I was 5 years old. I’m still trying to forge my own path as a country harp player, but I absolutely love how it takes me into another world from my own.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @HarpieLady so glad you’ve come and joined our community here!

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes

Hello @HarpieLady,
no worries! After a year on the harp, squeaking, practicing and learning, my neighbors are talking to me again. :wink: :rofl::woman_shrugging:

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

It’s not the neighbours I’m worried about, It’s my family members and myself LOL. My family members seem a LOT more tolerant than me, that is, if I hear THEM playing any instrument poorly, I kindly tell them to isolate themselves, but if it’s me, they’re like “naah, it’s okay”, so it seems more like I’m punishing myself. I really hate horrible music playing and it doesn’t matter if it’s from someone else or it’s from me, I’m gonna hate it just as much! :rofl:

5 Likes

@HarpieLady I know you’re kinda joking, but still I think Effortless Mastery has some guided meditations that you might find helpful (if you’re open to that sort of thing.) :metal:t3:

2 Likes

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.

• Frank Zappa
4 Likes

Guided meditation is not going to work. I just have an intolerance for “uninvited” sounds. Thanks though. To give you an idea, I didn’t like the sound of another person’s voice or them breathing when I was a child and I hated listening to other people read, regardless if they read well or not. People like me tend to have a general love and hate relationship with music (we’ll love hearing our favourite songs through our earphones, but will hate live concerts), so if something is going to be played even badly, we’re going to not going to be like “ok, that’s bad” like most other people, we will feel extreme hatred to the source. In the case of my playing, I feel extreme hatred toward whatever sound I make, not from an “I suck so much I hate it” view, it’s from a “I can’t stand this horrible noise” view even though it’s actually not too terrible. On the brightside, it doesn’t discourage me from playing.

5 Likes

@HarpieLady wow that’s fascinating. Thank you for sharing this!.Main thing you keep on rocking! :metal:t3:

3 Likes

Luke - IMHO, music is an international langue with magical powers. My Mom who passed at 105 used to play piano for seniors at retirement homes when she was young (in her 90’s). I used to watched absolutely mesmerized - people who had not spoken in weeks started to sing and a man who had been immobile started dancing. The elixir of life?
Robert
The Great While North (no kidding)

5 Likes

@robertchartrand2104, Wow, your mom has lived to a very old age! 105 years, respect!

What you write is correct! For people with dementia or Alzheimer’s, listening to music from the past helps a lot to bring back memories. It is amazing. It’s like waking up from a slumber.

4 Likes