Music Theory or Not, That Is The Question

I’ve heard some people say things like, “I don’t know any theory, I just play by “feel”. I don’t want to learn theory because it will mess up my “feel”.”

I’ve heard other people say things like, “If your “feel” couldn’t handle a little bit of theory, it must have not been that strong of a “feel” to start with…”

Both of these sentiments make me chuckle, and together they help us to see the middle road we want to walk down as musicians. Knowing as much theory as we need to be able to express ourselves well with maximum impact, and never allowing the intellectual side of things to dominate the magic and emotion that made us fall in love with music in the first place.

If you know me at all, you know that I am a theory Nerd with a capital “N.” I love it. Since I was a kid, music has been an obsession for me. If I wasn’t playing it, I wanted to be reading about it or meditating about things I’d been practicing or reading about.

In my personal experience, when it’s time to get on stage and play in front of a crowd, or it’s time to press record in front of a microphone, theory goes out the window, and I become lost in emotion.

Charlie Parker, whom many consider to be one of the greatest innovators and improvisers of the 20th century is quoted as saying, “First you learn the instrument, then you learn the music, then you forget all that sh*@ and just play. ”

I think this is great advice. Let’s be open to learning all the theory we can, all the while remembering that the theory of music is not music itself.

Your thoughts?

7 Likes

I highly agree, feeling and theory are equally important.

As I have mentioned before, I’m in my beginner stages as a musician, though I am not completely unfamiliar to music. I used to be able to play a few melodies on piano, and I can name all the keys on one as well as read simple sheet music.

But I’m still learning to just being able to just play what I think sounds good, and I think that’s essentially one of the question music theory answers. Like why does some chords sound good together, while playing two keys (on the piano) next to each other sound not so good.

I personally think the harmonica is excellent in conveying both theory and feeling, since it’s a easy instrument to carry around, whilst also being very diverse in it’s ability to create sounds.

I hope I am making sense :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That all makes perfect sense, and I agree wholeheartedly!

2 Likes

Found this old thread whilst idly browsing the forum (sorry to dig up old posts)…but agree wholeheartedly wuth what you’re saying.

Many years ago I played electric guitar, self taught, with plenty of bad habits.
After a while I hit a wall and never progressed beyond a particular level… With hindsight and the steady wisdom that comes with time I can see that it was a complete lack of music theory that held me back - with even the basic level of theory I’ve learnt recently I can see so many playing opportunities that I couldn’t before.

In short, if stuck, then knowing more of the mechanics of music could certainly open a few fresh ideas to explore, not to mention that music theory applies to all instruments too.

3 Likes

Or you can just take the advice my father gave me when I was 12 years old and took up sax, and this man loved music. He said that playing an instrument was a beautiful thing. But you shouldn’t touch one until you can play it properly. But in he’s defence, it took me a couple of weeks to get a half decent embouchure. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@MikeyJay yeah good point that it applies to all instruments. Knowing it helps us become better multi-instrumentalists, if we should fancy such a fancy title. :wink:

I’m glad that you’ve resurrected this thread because there’s tension in this idea that should be constantly examined. Theory is science, and in the final analysis music is art, not science. So do ignore the inherent tension here is short-sighted.

I think this is an opportune moment to re-quote the father of bebop, Charlie Parker who obviously understood theory beyond what and of us do, but played with amazing feel:

Never stop learning. Never stop playing.

3 Likes

Hey man. So true. Thing is you don’t forget the theory, that would be like saying forget how to play and just listen. It becomes part of you and you use it automatically, without the need to concentrate on it. Just like how you have to concentrate on your fingers when you start playing heaps of instruments. People tend to not realise they’ve picked up on theory. Scary word man

3 Likes

@stonestone63, it is exactly like that! I have and still have a hard time with the theory. Thought I wouldn’t really understand.
But now that I’m focusing on more practice, I’m realizing that I can really put theory into practice. Completely automatically!

3 Likes