Neeext!

Hello all.
I am looking to purchase my second harmonica. What do you think is the next key that will benefit me the most after the key of C that I have now? I was thinking of grabbing an “A”, but want to be sure.
Also, I have a Rocket now. I like it, but is it a good idea to experiment with different Brands/Models to see if I would like something better? I’m thinking about a Lee Oskar, partially because I hear that Seydel’s have some “out of the box” issues, and with the price tag, I shouldn’t have to spend additional $$ to make it great.
Thanks in advance. Joel

3 Likes

Hi Joel @JMac69

The choice of key depends a little on the type(s) of music you intend to play and (if there are any) on the types of musicians/instruments you wish to accompany. In general, most people will say that an “A” harp is your most useful, since many songs are in the key of E (A harp played in 2nd position) and because E is an easy key for most guitarists to play.

I have many Seydel harps and have no more issues with their “out of the box” models than with any other brand. With their 1847 models (Classic, Silver, Lightning) I have never had any issues – only with the Session Steel models (which I no longer buy).

I also have numerous Lee Oskar harps but avoid them because I did have several issues with new models, and their sound is (to my ears) too metallic. For bends and overblows I also find that the Lee Oskar harps do not sound the best. But the same goes for almost any brand harp that costs less than about 50 U$.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey Slim.
Blues, & Rock is what I would mostly be playing. I play Bass Guitar, and hope to eventually do both simultaneously, HOPE! Lol
The 1847 Silver is what I was looking at. Do you think they are more difficult for beginners to bend on than Oskars or Special 20/Rockets?

Thanks for the quick response. Joel

4 Likes

Hey, Joel @JMac69

If you are satisfied with your Rocket then I suggest sticking with it – I love them. I think that they outperform the Lee Oskar harps, and the Rockets are especially easy to bend, have excellent sound (and volume) and are worth every penny.

The Seydel 1847 Silver is also excellent – but since you seem to be just starting with blues harp I suggest waiting on that. Go for the Rocket in A. You can always transition to the stainless steel reeds of the 1847 Silver later. No sense in changing things if that Rocket in C is making you happy. :point_left:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks for the input. I’ll stick with the Rocket, and grab an “A”.

3 Likes

Check out the East Top Lightning.
For some reason it isn’t shown in their catalog and it’s only available from Amazon. It is not a renamed 008K.
To make a long story short, I have most of the big names harmonicas in a variety of keys.
The East Top Lightning is the easiest playing and best sounding harmonica I have.

6 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the heads-up.

2 Likes

@donaldbrockett I just got to SPAH. I’ll make sure and ask East Top folks about the Lightning! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Good advice from slim, if I was beginning I’d follow up C harp with A or D, the most common keys that bands in blues or rock play are G, which you’ve already got covered E, so you need an an A harp and if they play in A you need a D harp. Generally if your Jamming with a band they should let you know what key they are in or you should ask.
Also got to agree with Slim when it comes to Lee Oskers I’ve never been keen on their sound for Rock or blues, my harp of choice has always been the Hohner SP 20, but I do think you should try different harps if for nothing else to protect your bank balance. I’ve always fancied trying a Seydel but like yourself heard there were out of the box issue, but I may give Slims recommendation a try.

3 Likes