New App: Harmonica Tuner Pro

Greetings!

I recently discovered a new app I wanted to share with everyone as it has helped me tremendously. It’s in the App Store for like $4. No idea who created it, but it shows you a layout of all the notes on the harmonica, and then through your microphone as you play, it highlights the notes you are playing. You can select different keys, you can record, and it also color codes the accuracy of the note played for the intonation.

In the B2B Course Module 2, I was struggling to hear, learn, and know if I was playing the right notes for the chords (for example, when trying to play different double stops, I may be aiming for 45, but I’m hitting 34, 345, 45 or 456. As you play the notes, this tuner tells you what you’re playing and you can see if it’s correct! I’ve been using it to play double stops and single notes so I can learn the correct sound, position, etc. and get more consistent with the tone and feel. For bends, you can actually see your bends as they happen and know when you are hitting the right note!

Anyway, I’m not a salesman! I just stumbled upon the app and thought it may help some of you as much as it has me.

Happy harpin’!

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. Can you send the link or name. ?

4 Likes

@toogdog The name is “Harmonica Tuner Pro”.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

4 Likes

Hello @pnicholas1967 and @toogdog,
yes, it is in the Google Play Store. I’ve been using them for a long time. Especially at the beginning to learn the right note when bending or overblows.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Good stuff. These tools are helpful. Just remember ultimately we want to train our EARS and not our EYES. So these tools are GREAT at the BEGINNING to help us get started, but they should be like training wheels, and come off eventually. :+1:t3:

6 Likes

Exactly, Luke @Luke !! :point_left:

And this is where using (cello) drones come into the mix. Start with the tuning apps, then gradually add in the drones and you are on your way! The tuning apps have their place and will always be used in various ways. But using a drone is much closer to the situation of playing with other musicians, just without the distraction of too many other sounds. :wink: And the cool, relaxing, meditative feeling is perfect for getting into the relaxed playing mode (for those out there who tend to “tense up” while playing).

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Cool beans. I had a sax player friend who used to use a Tanpura drone, but I’ve never heard of cello drones for this purpose!

2 Likes