No sound on 6 draw on new Hohner Marine band Harp

I’m new to the harp. I can’t for the life of me get a sound on the 6 draw. What could I be doing wrong?

3 Likes

Hi @Dupuis

Most probably nothing. If you can play the other draw notes on holes 1-5 and 7-10 then the chances are high that you are doing nothing wrong. Just be sure that you are not drawing too hard nor too soft.

My guess is that there is either dirt in the draw 6 reed slot (preventing the reed from moving) or the reed gap needs to adjusted (because the gap is either too large or too small). You can find posts here on the forum that will help you with cleaning the harp (in case it is the dirt problem), and with gapping the reed (in case that is the problem).

Of course, it is also possible that the reed is broken :frowning_face: or totally off-center in its slot. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: You will need to remove the harp cover-plates to adjust the gap or to see if the reed is broken or off-center. The draw reeds are on the bottom reed plate. :point_left:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I received my replacement Lee Oskar this morning Slim, you were absolutely correct.
I still couldn’t quite believe it was me rather than the harp, until the replacement arrived, and I could hit an isolated draw 2 everytime. Even showing off to my wife and being blase’ about it, I could hit it 10 times in a row with no effort.
Sometimes it is the harp!

4 Likes

Well, @Dave_Dunn , I’m very glad to hear that your issue has been resolved! :partying_face:

Enjoy your “new” harp and have a great evening.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes