Noob question harmonica repair

I have roughly 10 harmonicas now. I have a crossover in C that I have had a little less than a year and the 10 draw is not responding. What do you all think I should do? Take it apart and see if something is blocking the Reed? If I were to go about replacing the reads, I suppose since it’s screws, it’s a fairly easy thing to do?

Any tips or tricks? I’m a little bit disappointed because I don’t play that aggressively and I don’t play this harmonica exclusively, so I am a little bit surprised. I am having issues. Unless something is just caught in the reed.

3 Likes

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I guess you’ve washed it?

4 Likes

It’s not a stupid question because I’m a noob to harp repair. I’ve only cleaned the outside so far.

4 Likes

Ok. Swish it through hot slightly soapy water then under the tap warm clear water. Let dry standing blow side up. Try that.

4 Likes

Hi @DukeSilver

Wash it, as @toogdog suggests – but do not soak it.

Actually, before washing, take the cover plates off and examine the reed gap for 10 draw. It should look almost identical to the gap for 9 draw. If not, gently press on it with a toothpick (or lift it if more gap is needed). Then test again to see if it plays. Sometimes it is only a speck of dirt or a hair that can fall off when you pluck the reed and then it plays without washing or changing the gap.

Replacing the reed is somewhat tricky and seldom necessary.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Well, the reed came loose and is playing again, but I’m going to give it a gentle wash, but not a long soak as you all suggested. Thanks for the help!

5 Likes