One of My Crowning Achievements as a Harmonica Content Creator: Getting to Talk to Mayu Shibuki

I have started doing content as a type of content creator called a VTuber. A VTuber is somebody who uses an avatar made by the creator and is also a content creator (whether that be on Youtube, Twitch, TikTok, etc.). The term was coined in 2016 by Japanese 3D VTuber, Kizuna Ai, as a mashup of the words “virtual” and “Youtuber”. I recently have started making content as a virtual youtuber myself, under the Bunny McMillan alias, and I wanted to showcase my love for the instrument. Here’s some clips of me playing the harmonica as Bunny McMillan.

Even though I’m currently love doing this type of content, I wasn’t the first harmonica player to do so. Two weeks ago, I was introduced to Mayu Shibuki, a Japanese female chromatic harmonica player. She is my biggest inspiration, next to Todd Parrott, when it comes to making content as a content creator. She has been following me on Twitter and my content since last week and she has been super supportive. I’ve had the chance to talk with her when she announced that her content is getting monetized on Ouen (a Japanese website that is similar to Patreon/Ko-fi where you can support your favorite creators). Even though she has more subscribers than me, Mayu sees me as a fellow harmonica enthusiast who wants to further the reach of the instrument and is a very sweet soul. Here’s the conversation she and I had.

I hope that other people in the western harmonica community get to see this and welcome Mayu with open arms. She’d be very happy that there’s an international appeal to the instrument.

2 Likes