Overblows

Hey everyone! I’ve been working on overblows… but in my head I thought that overblews are used from 6 - 10 hole.
Then a read a bit more and I see everywhere that overblews are few 1-6…?
I can bend & overbend every note bendable, half, whole, & step/half…
I can overblews 6,7,8…
But now I’ve tried 1-6 and not even close haha.

Any thoughts? Maybe someone has a clear view on this

2 Likes

Hi @JohnJohn

It is particularly difficult to learn overblows, blow bends and overdraws when you do not understand what they are, where they can be played and how to set up your harp to make them not only easier but more controllable. :point_left:

Therefore, I suggest that you take time to search our forum because there is a load on information about this. Just use the Search function and use the keyword “overblow” – doing so I found this post that you should take time to read and understand. If you have further questions, ask back here again.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Nice info @Slim! I sometimes think I k ow more than what I know! Haha I’ll will definitely get on it. I’m going to have to post a audio recording on some of these new learns!

3 Likes

Hi @JohnJohn

That is a good idea – that way others can better jump in with more advice !!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey @JohnJohn the most commonly played, helpful, and least difficult to play overblown, imo, are 6, 5, and 4, in that order. It’s also possible to get a 1 overblow, but I’ve never been able to get one. Those are the only overblows that exist.

Then there are overdraws which are only on whole 7 and 9, which I also have never been able to get, and probably won’t pursue.

The 6 overblow gets us the b3 above the octave which is the most annoying note to be missing. Todd Parrot also developed his Parrot-tuned harmonica where the -7 is a half-step lower as another way regain this otherwise missing note.

The 5 overblow is helpful because it’s the major 7th in cross-harp (particularly helpful over the V chord because the 3rd of the V chord is the major 7th.)

The 4 overblow is the b6th in cross-harp which is helpful for chromatic passing tone stuff.

Having said all that, I’ve messed around with overblown at home a lot, but I’ve never used one in a recording session or on a gig. I think your time is better spent elsewhere.

Hope that helps!

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes