Picky Ears, Playing Out of Key Solo

As I am playing more and focusing less on technique because muscle memory is kicking in I noticed something I struggle with is playing out of key, even unaccompanied. I think we all know tabs are universal barring alternate tunings, but playing the wrong key is driving me (and my wallet nuts)

I learn a song by listening to it and whistling it, quite a bit, it helps me figure out patterns and rhythm, also handy for how often I don’t have a hand for my harp. But because I listen and learn it this way, it sounds very off when I play a song written in D on my C. Tried it on my Low D and it sounds perfect to me.

Curious if anyone else struggles with this or if it a newbie problem and I’ll get used to it. My story ends with I have a 008k in D on order :joy:

1 Like

Hi @RynoSaurusRex

I believe that this is a “beginner’s” problem that will fade as you progress with your harp playing. Be patient – easier said than done, I know :wink: