Poorly made or bad bad techniqe

Hi all i was just wondwring are some harmonacas poorly made? or is it just poor techniqe?. When i have used mine for a while and im guessing when it might get slightly damp when drawing the sound can get a bit draggy and i cant tell if it is lack of skill or if i need to change my harmonica. As im nrw to the harmonica im not quite sure how they shou ld behave and what is good or bad but i lnow mine can become quite hard to use. So maybe i olayed it too long or maybe its poor quality or maybe i just dont have the skill set to keep a good sound yet. Hopefully someone understands what i am saying :laughing::rofl:

4 Likes

Its ok i was just reading a piece on single notes and i blame me lol :laughing: practis practise practise sleep and start again :v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

You’ve got it now, @greggore82 ! :point_left:

Whenever the reeds get very wet (for whatever reason it might be) they become more difficult to play and their tone becomes flat.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Are some harmonicas poorly made? Yes. Lots of them are poor quality and cheaply made, more prone to breakdown, swelling, messed up reeds.

If you’re getting the comb wet and it’s unsealed wood it may swell, making it harder to play. If too much spit in the reeds - Slim already explained. So even a decent harp with an unsealed wood comb can be problematic.

If you use a Suzuki Manji (resin comb), Seydel 1847 Silver ( Solid Polymer Comb), Bushman Delta Frost (rounded plastic comb), Hohner Marine Band Deluxe (triple lacquered pear wood), or many others, you at least avoid the swelling.

Excess saliva? Wipe off the front of the harp after each song to reduce problems.

Back 50 years ago when the basic Marine Band with an unsealed comb was the only choice, when the reeds were clogged you’d slosh it around in a glass of water (or possibly other liquid if you were an adult), tap it against you leg to get rid of extra water? free the reeds? Whatever the problem, that was the cure.

Don’t worry. With a little experimentation, you’ll find an answer.

3 Likes

Hi unfortunatly i am in the uk. I really appreaciate your offer though, that is really kind.
After a bit of experimenting i believe it is mostly my lack of skill with alot of slobber. :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

Hi @greggore82

I’m not sure what the problem is that you live in the UK … ? Or am I missing something?

– Slim

1 Like

Becuse you said if i lived in the us you would send me another harmonica but i dont live in the usa.

I didn’t check all the replies, but your spittle leaves a residue, I clean mine with water they say don’t with wood combs, but doing it since the early 70’s. I have taken mine apart and yes it needs cleaning. As an example, I found an old Opera harmonica at an antique shop, interesting sloped cut outs, but my point is it smelled of old spit, tobacco and whiskey. Comb started falling apart, I will make a new one for the plates with a dremel.

1 Like

If you’re getting a lot of saliva in your mouth and on the harp, just look up toward the ceiling!

3 Likes

Yay im all over that and i have veen following your advice- is it always harder to play single notes fluently at the far reaches of the higher and lower end of the scales ? I find the 1 n 2 and 78910 seem to be whete it get the most problamatatic and it more seems to be on the draw than the blow but some very kind peraon sent me another to try so we shall soon see :v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@greggore82 YES The -2 and the high high draws - especially -7 - but 8,9,10 too are most common difficult notes for all beginners! :ok_hand:t3: These are the tips:

1.) Let gravity lower your jaw so that it’s totally relaxed and in a nice “aw” vowel shape, your teeth should be far apart from each other

2.) Keep the back of your tongue down, like it is when you yawn. Make sure it’s not in the “Kk” zone (how your tongue is when you say a “Kk” consonant.)

3.) Nice steady, GENTLE, airflow. Most beginners (and many intermediate and advanced players) use WAY to much pressure.

Hope that helps! :sunglasses:

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

And, of course, keep practicing!

2 Likes

If they have wooden combs replace them with plastic. If they are nailed together replace the harmonica. I replaced my wooden comb as the play was going south and have no regrets. If you have a wood comb take a look at the inside with a 10x loop. They absorb moisture and you can fight it but its frustrating. I got A Crossover and a Lee Osker, both with plastic combs. The Lee Osker plays great, especially single notes. draws and blows on the high end are very easy. Crossover is tougher on single notes but when you hit one it sounds great. Cleaning them with warm water is very easy.

I cannot think of anything that can be bought cheap that is quality. No free lunch.

Scott4

Scott4

1 Like

Wash it out, if you took your harp apart you would see dry spittle buildup. If you wait to long, you actually have to unscrew it and clean it gently.

1 Like