Popper embouchure

Considering how difficult it must be to describe something that seems to require such kinesthetic precision and would likely be fairly incomprehensible to beginners like me, I appreciate that various teachers of the harmonica seek to come up with terms in an attempt to describe the almost indescribable. I imagine these sincere efforts can sometimes be somewhat misleading and / or other times help the vast majority of new learners “get it” after a little effort. Seems like every teacher I’ve watched refers to the technique using their favored term, but out of necessity will spend an inordinate amount of time trying to describe what it means along with examples. I think that goes to show how difficult it must be to succinctly describe such a technique.

Thanks to @Luke and @KeroroRinChou for their efforts in adding clarity to the various terms.

5 Likes

Thanks @burpsan! And I just want to make sure that we are all clear on this subject: Lip blocking, lip pursing, puckering, and semi-pucker, are all different words for the same technique.

Fish lips is a great way to describe it!

4 Likes