Prefer the sound of G harmonicas

I prefer the harmonicas in the key of G. The C is too tinny and squeaky. Maybe it is my ears. The notes are easier to resolve when playing along with tunes on the radio. I am a beginner, still working on single notes with Luke.

1 Like

Right on! Yes, the G is much lower and less tinny than the C. In terms of being able to play along with the radio, that’s just luck of the draw of what key songs happen to come on. Rock on, my friend.

1 Like

I think the C harmonica is often recommended as a 1st harp because it’s in the middle of high - low tuned range of harps. C harps are more responsive than low tuned harps that can be real wind machines. High tunings (say, E) seem more technically fussy about breath control. Also, plenty of folk type music is played in C and many blues/rock music is played in G, which is played with a C harp in 2nd position (cross harp). For just playing on your own? I get why you like the G, I do too.

4 Likes

Ya, Trapper all very true and good points here! Also, another good reason to start with C harp: most beginner harmonica tutorials use C, so you can play along with. I also love low harps when playing alone. But when playing live with a band, it’s difficult to get them to really cut thru the mix.

2 Likes

Hallo @Probst54, was du schreibst, kann ich gut bestätigen. Ich hatte 2 Wochen meine C Harp und habe mir direkt eine G Harp vom gleichen Modell geholt.
Die Lektionen mache ich mit der C Harp.
Songs die im Original in G angeboten werden, spiele oder uebe ich gern auf der G Harp.
Inzwischen mag ich beide, wobei mir die G Harp ĂĽber so manche Probleme der C Harp hinweg geholfen hat.
Da kommen bestimmt später noch andere Tonarten und Harp Modelle dazu. Erstmal viel lernen ohne dass ich mich festlegen muss.
Von den Empfehlungen her, könnte man sich fast täglich eine neue Harmonika kaufen…:grin:
Viel SpaĂź weiterhin wĂĽnscht dir Astrid

2 Likes