Premier twin 8

I just bought off eBay this 1963 Premier Twin 8 Amplifier.One of the holy grail harp amps. It is in
Excellent working condition with Original speakers and NOS retube.
I LOVE IT!

Here is what it sounds like

6 Likes

It gives a nice bit of warmth and grit, very nice! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

@stevenlois1 You just love giving me gear envy, donā€™t you? :sunglasses: Indeed it sounds fantastic! I only listened through my MacBook Air speakers (which have really gotten quite good these days) but I can see why youā€™re in love. Nice playing too. What harmonica and position you playing in here?

3 Likes

Thanks, Luke!
Iā€™m playing a G harp in 2nd position for the diatonic and a C chromatic in 3rd position.

3 Likes

I thought that sounded like a chromatic! You switched harps on us you tricky guy!! Nice tongue blocking and fat jazzy chords! :call_me_hand:t3:

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a video showing the full range of tremelo. This is my 1st 2 speaker amp,so I never even thought about including it in the original demonstration. Sorry about that.

I like it with the smallest amount of effect since it fills out the sound without changing its character.

3 Likes

From ebay? You are very lucky it works well. I have stopped getting mics or other electronics from ebay, they are hardly ever as described and usually sold by people that donā€™t know anything about the equipment they sell. Very risky. But I am very happy for you. Use the amp well.

4 Likes

I only buy from sellers with a 100% feedback score. This particular amp had been fully serviced already; otherwise, I have a top amp tech that takes care of it.

2 Likes

Great! Excellent points. I once inquired the seller about a mic. He said he did not know much about the mic but it had strong output. When it arrived, I realised the chord was damaged, the element was dead. So the strong output came from the damaged chord. Things like that made me just so cautious buying stuff from ebay. Anyways, saying thatonce I was lucky with a mic element I bought from ebay, but nowadays a stopped that. - Your amp sounds great, by the way!

2 Likes

Thank you for the compliment.
There is only one time I got screwed But it was not from eBay, but from a vendor on one of the blues Facebook sites. Making phony claims about his product. I had to file a dispute with Mastercard to get satisfaction.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t feedback for harmonica players a bad thing? :wink:

Hey, amp sounds great. I could only hear the tremolo effect when you said it was at 6ā€™oclock. Is there only one knob for the tremolo? Typically they have 2 knobs 1 for ā€œrateā€ and 1 for ā€œdepthā€?

Hereā€™s a nice example of a good deep amp tremolo from one of the Chicago masters:

4 Likes

There only 3 knobs: Volume, tone and tremelo.
LW sure kills!

4 Likes

Hi, a bit of a zombie thread, I know, but I wanted to ask you what tube compliment is in your '63 Twin-8. I had the same year model for a number of years; I know this because I was the second owner and the lady I bought it from included the sales receipt from when her husband had bought it new (with an accordian, no less). It also included the original ā€œinstruction sheetā€. Mine used 2 12ax7ā€™s, but a 7591 for the power tube and had a 5Y3 rectifier. I havenā€™t been able to find a schematic for this particular variant.
It was a great harp amp, but I already had another that I loved and played more often, so sold it to another harp player some years ago.

2 Likes

The tube lineup is 1 - 6X4 rectifier, 2 ā€“ 12AX7 tubes and a 6V6 Power Tube. A 6L6 Power Tube can also be used in this amplifier with no circuit changes for a slightly different tone

1 Like