Progression Check In

Hello! My name is HappyHarpist :slight_smile:

I haven’t been around lately but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been practicing! Since it is coming up on my annual jam trip ( a trip I take to go jam with some fellow musicians ) and it has been just a little over a year since joining here, I thought it would be good to post a little progression update. So let’s dive in.

When I joined in Dec 2023. I had about a year or so of informal learning, no teacher or the like. I had lots of music theory in my pocket but lacked technique - couldn’t hit bends consistently, and double bends were out of the question. I understood music, but the harmonica felt unwieldy, but I was addicted to getting better.

After a few months and working through the modules I was feeling pretty comfortable playing from tabs. So I decided to go on this jam trip with my few Golden Melody harps in my backpack. It was fun but also frustrating. I had a lot of take aways, but I was renewed in my determination to get better before the next trip so I can really show up!

Fast forward a year of focused practice, just about 20-30 minutes a couple times a week on very specific topics. My bends are on point, I no longer get “lost” on what hole I’m on, I pretty much exclusively learn music by ear ( I learned that learning by ear helps memorization a lot! ) additionally developed my “ear” a lot, and just a ton of confidence in both solo and group playing and even recorded a few different songs as part of a group.

So for anyone out there that is new or maybe is hitting a plateau, keep at it! Progress sometimes isn’t as major as you might think. Sometimes it’s very subtle, but a lot of tiny steps will still move you forward. Keep at it, keep jamming and keep having fun!

That’s my year progress and I guess my re-introduction to you fine people here!

Cheers!

5 Likes

Hey @HappyHarpist so great to see you again, and I’m just ecstatic about your post and to hear about your progress. CONGRATS!!

Another great confirmation to anyone who reads it that learning 3 notes by ear is more valuable than learning 3 songs by tabs.

Thanks for checking in, and Rock on! :sunglasses:

2 Likes