Reed plate protrusion

I am struggling to love my east top T008k because the reed plates proteude about a millimetre beyond the reed comb. On my special 20 and my other east top (“free blues” or t003) I was able to get my mouth right up to the reed comb and that felt right. But no-one els mentions this. Is it the same on other sandwich-style harps like the marine band? Should I percervere? Will I get used to it? Should I get some sand-paper to it?

2 Likes

Hi @Mouth_Organ_Scholar

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question/issue: Have you been using the “relaxed deep mouth” technique? Do not pucker your lips like when whistling! Luke @Luke has a video on youtube showing how the relaxed deep mouth technique looks.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I shall check it out and report back tomorrow.

3 Likes

Thanks Slim

4 Likes

I have watched the video and I think I get where your reply question is coming from. I don’t think that’s the problem. I’d be overstating things to say my mouth position was perfect but I do get the harp in my mouth. It’s not the puckered front of my lips that I want against the reed comb but the near-corners of my mouth. With the protruding reed plates it feels that air escapes to the sides and I feel less control of the flow of air. Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. If you cannot manage to get a good seal, then another brand/model of harmonica might be the quickest & simplest solution.

The Special 20 is actually an excellent harp for a decent price. Also the Seydel Blues Session (has brass reeds) is about the same price with a similar design. I do not find the Seydel Blues Session Steel (stainless steel reeds) to be worth the extra $'s.

I also do not think that filing the reed plate of your “problem” harp would be ideal – unless you know what you are doing, have the correct tools & are very careful.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you Slim that’s very kind

3 Likes

@Mouth_Organ_Scholar - YES! The tin sandwich design is much harder on the lips than the countersunk reed, which is exactly why Hohner innovated the latter model in the 70’s, and why it’s my preferred style of harp.

Tin sandwich is especially painful if you’re doing lots of fast sliding and/or playing for long periods of time.

A few minutes? Not to bad… A few hours? OUCH!!!

1 Like