Right Hand Hold

I picked up the harmonica and tried playing tabs before ever looking at youtube or starting the begginer course here. When I started the lessons and the more I looked into it, everyone holds their harp with their left hand. I started by holding with my right hand and it just feels right, even when I cup with my left. Is there a reason everyone plays with their left? Anyone else hold with their right hand? Should I try to learn holding with my left or keep going with my right. Still very green so im not sure if theres something Im missing.

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know why most people hold the harp in their left hand but here’s my opinion. If you want to hold it in your right hand, go right ahead. There’s nothing stopping you from enjoying what you love. For players that hold it in their right hand, one guy immediately comes to mind: Terry McMillan. He’s right handed, but picked up the harmonica upside down when he first started out and learned how to play right handed.

6 Likes

Right on! Thanks for that

3 Likes

I’ve recently changed to holding the harp in my right hand. Lower noted on the left as normal but use my right hand instead my left.

This is the way I’ve started to hold the harp.

6 Likes

Ive tried switching to left when I started the beginner’s course but it just felt extremely weird. Im staying rightly.

6 Likes

@Adrian.flores22 Yeah I agree with everyone here. I go back and forth. You can hold it any which way. When evaluating any technique, the rule is: If it SOUNDS good, and it FEELS good, then it IS good. That’s it. Period.

6 Likes

I’m the same. It feels more natural holding it my right hand so I’m planning to stick with that.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @jmpm! Yes, if it sounds good and it feels good it IS good. I change my grip and which hand I’m using all the time!

2 Likes

I’m the same way and had the same question. It just feels more natural and comfortable . Youre definitely not alone!

2 Likes

if it works its not broke. I usually use my right. It just feels more comfortable.

Scott

2 Likes

I feel like I naturally feel more comfortable holding it in my right hand, but when doing Tremolo, it feels off. I believe it is solely opinion though.

1 Like