Slowing Down

I remember taking some guitar lessons when I was a teenager in the 80’s.

Things were different we paid 120$ a month for one 1 hour lesson per week

After a lesson you had specifics to work on for the week. The teacher would not give you more until you got the previous lessons dialed in.

It was a process and mastering the basics was key.

Like in sports, art, or even business… mastery comes through the basics and it is most often a slow process. You’ve probably heard of the 10,000 hour theory.

Stopped guitar in 1988 and didn’t play any instruments until 2022

Fast forward that 40 yrs ± and we have at our finger tips for a fraction of the cost or even complimentary access to thousands and thousands of lessons and a plethora of teachers.

Also in that forty years we’ve become a microwave society who want results yesterday.

All that said I have bounced around programs, one off lessons, songs, techniques and on and on.

The result of all that is available so fast and absorbing quantity is this…. I’m good at a lot of things in my music journey but had mastered nothing.

I am changing my approach
Picking one teacher for harmonica @Luke and one for guitar Marty Schwartz and I’m learning in smaller more focused chucks. I am seeking quality of lessons and results vs quantity.

As far as songs - I’m reducing that as well - personally I’d prefer to be great at 4 songs than good at 40.

This is a self assessment and personal experience only. But I figured I’d share because I suspect I’m not the only one.

We live in amazing times in terms of information availability and access - which is a great thing when harnessed with discipline - otherwise it can be too much for some, like myself, leading to overload and mediocre results.

Hope this is helpful for some.

:v:

5 Likes

Hi @cloves-fibs0f
“As far as songs - I’m reducing that as well - personally I’d prefer to be great at 4 songs than good at 40”.
Yeah, I’m inclined to agree and yet I find myself doing the opposite. I have more than 20 tunes on my list, comprising whole melodies, parts of melodies, song intros and funky mess around tunes such as dueling banjos. From Canned heat to John Denver. Before I’ve learned a song well, I’m attracted to another one and want to learn that as well. Too many to practice them all properly. I’m a hopeless case. Please help!
Yours Truly
Out of control

4 Likes

Funny how that works brother, finding ourselves doing exactly what we don’t want… I feel ya tho man… so many good songs. Honestly tho my “4 great vs 40 good” was just an example. I’m with you I have a pool of about 20 to 25 when considering riffs and common things like happy birthday. But songs that move me is where I want more mastery and less mediocracy.

I’m working on a little montage in G mashing up 4 songs (battle hymn of the republic, hallelujah, amazing grace and how great though art) I can play each one proficiently. I’d love to master them so people I play it for aren’t listening to the music rather they are feeling and experiencing it. Luke versions of amazing Grace and hallelujah are amazing - mine are very simple, recognizable but no feel no shine or pizzazz. I’ll get there tho if I stop bouncing around like a pinball in the musical arcade of the World Wide Web.

Make it a great day @PapaCurly

3 Likes

I’ve only been playing for about a year, with no musical experience prior to that, and no lessons other than the free stuff, mostly on this forum. So, our journey has been a bit different, but it seems we are on the same page at the moment. 20 something (and growing) mess about tunes and a desire to play 4 or 5 melodies really well. I’m still experimenting to decide which ones they will be. Hallelujah is a lovely song, but I find it difficult to play well because of all the repeated notes. 6 -6 -6 -6 -6 -6 6 6 -5 6 6. It sounds beautiful when Luke plays it, but he has the experience and skill (and candles). Currently I’m working on ‘Wonderful tonight’ by Eric Clapton. Much easier for me, and all the notes are in the middle of the harp. Girls will love you if you can play that tune well. I learned ‘Fields of Gold’ pretty much by ear so that’s the one I play best. Almost everything else is by tabs. The other problem I find with melodies, is that they can be a bit monotonous. It’s OK when the song is sung because there’s different lyrics, but with a harp it just repeats. So, I tend to prune them down a bit. Let’s hope we can both find the pizzazz that we’re looking for. I’m a way off just yet
Peace, love and healing @cloves-fibs0f

4 Likes

Great stuff guys! :100: Slowing down and focusing on fundamentals is great.

The harmonica players we will be a year from now is a result of what we choose to practice every day between now and then.

In the final analysis, staying inspired to play and continuing to always work at improving at something is the key.

If you’re daily getting your lips on the harmonica, consciously working at improving, and having fun, then you’re on the right path! :sunglasses:

4 Likes