Sore diaphragm

I woke up last night with pain at the bottom of my ribs on one side and couldn’t figure out why. I had been for a long walk with a bit of running here and there so I thought that might be it. But although I’m getting old, and I sometimes overdo it, I don’t normally get pain in my ribs.
The other thing I did yesterday was to practice harmonica for a couple of hours. That’s the longest session I have done in one day. So, I thought maybe it’s from that. Googled diaphragm and it seems that it does attach to the bottom of the ribs at the sides. Now I’m convinced it’s the practice session that’s done it. Who would have thought I’d be taken out by a harmonica?
Has anyone else experience this?

1 Like

Haven’t experienced that. Chest pain should never be ignored.

4 Likes

Hello @PapaCurly,
yes, I know that on both sides when I haven’t played for a while or I overdo it in one day. These are the small muscles on the lower ribs. Comes to me when I make a special effort to play quietly. Then you press your breath. It goes away again, it’s just sore muscles. :smile:

3 Likes

Thank You toog, you are right, it pays to be careful about such things.

Astrid, yes, the pain has gone now. I’m pretty sure it was from overdoing the harmonica practice; dueling banjos that I mentioned in another thread. I’m grounded for a few days, after some minor surgery this morning, so I was planning to do more of it. I might have to ease up a bit.

3 Likes

I was doing the soundtrack for “Wanted Dead or Alive” with Rutker Hauer and the Simmons, the dude from KIZZ, and I was asked to play very intensely during the scene when the bad guy get’s run over by a car. “more intense … more intense … more intense.” I played that part for about 10 minutes till they got what they wanted. Boy did my ribs hurt the next day! LOL! - Corky

5 Likes

Oh WOW, so you played for the actual movie soundtrack! That is very cool Corky.

2 Likes

yes I have experience this pain as well. I don’t know what it is and I had DRs check me out and still no answer

John D ny

3 Likes

Hi devinejohn, is this your first post? If so, welcome.
Are you new to playing harmonica?

1 Like

yes. I believe it is my first post I have a YouTube channel JJD1906 there’s harmonica stuff from way back when from my fellow club members (LONG ISLAND HARMONIC CLUB) AND of Cours myself. I’m going to be adding more videos in the near future. my club also host a weekly zoom on Wednesdays 7-9 PM EST all are welcome below is the link, pass its around
Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 336 487 1707

Passcode: lihc

2 Likes