Spaces

I was thinking about spaces between notes. It reminded me of a lesson in an art class I took. The professor asked us to draw some easels in the back of the room. The trick was we could only draw the spaces that the easels made, not the easels themselves . When finished blackening the spaces, what you are left with, is whites spaces, which of course were easels. At a later time a guitar teacher gave me a homework assignment. I had to develop a solo for a minute or two but only using one note. It sounded silly at first. Dynamics, length of notes and length of spaces were my only options. Both were great lessons and I believe they said similar things. Focus on the spaces too. To take this to the most extreme, I used what I learned in composing art/music and use it with social interaction and at work ( retire high school teacher). We have been taught to listen to what people say which is really a skill in and of itself. But if you really want to communicate also focus on what they don’t say.

5 Likes

So glad to have you here in the forum. This is a brilliant post in my opinion. I think leaving space and listening are the two keys to improvising well.
Thanks for sharing.

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. As a former school teacher I can’t help from being a teacher critic. You are very talented in what you do and how you approach the subject ( excellent lesson plans ). Evaluating you was easy because you check off all the boxes. It is not easy to make the student feel as if they are having a conversation with you especially when you are talking to a camera. I find myself verbally responding to you. My wife frequently asks “who are to taking too”?. . What I envy is, unlike my classroom, everyone of your students want to be there. Please continue educating us on music in general. Your enthusiasm and obvious love of all music and its history is infectious and stimulating.

4 Likes

Thanks so much my friend! Yes, the other great thing about my job is it demands zero classroom management skills! :rofl: Thanks for all of your kind words. Keep on talking back to me. :wink: Glad you’re enjoying the course.

Rock on!
Luke

3 Likes