Special 20 Sharp Corner

Hello all. I just purchased my first harmonica, a Special 20. I’m not liking the way the corner of the S20 is digging into my hand. I wonder if I got a bad one. Has anyone ever sanded that back corner to round it off before? Just a thought. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Joel @JMac69

I’m sure that has been done by someone. Go ahead and sand it off if it bothers you too much. It’s cheaper than buying a new harp. But if you don’t mind buying a new one then I suggest the Hohner Rocket or Rocket Amp models.

Regards,

– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hey Slim. Thanks. I’ll look at those harps that you mentioned.

4 Likes

They are really good – better than Special 20 – which is a very good harp – and that is reflected (unfortunately) in the higher price for the Rockets.

Regards,

– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey Slim. I looked at several videos/reviews, and went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Rocket. Thanks again. :metal:

4 Likes

Hi @JMac69, I agree with you, those sharp corners on the special 20 make it uncomfortable to hold. However, if it’s bothering you that much, is it possible that you are holding it too tightly? I think they only weigh about 60 grams, so you don’t need to grip it like a vice. Of course, I don’t know how you’re holding it, I’m just making a suggestion.
I also agree with @Slim, the special 20 is a good harp but the rockets are better. I recently bought a rocket amp and love it. Not just because of the rounded edges. Definitely worth a few dollars more.

4 Likes

@PapaCurly
Thanks for the response. I could be gripping too hard. I’m a big dude! Lol

I ordered a Rocket today. :+1:

4 Likes

I have a Special 20 and found a sharp corner that was cutting my lip. I really like the sound and how easy it is to play so I filed down the sharp corner to increase the comfort level. It only took a few minutes.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem with the Special 20 on my right hand. It cuts into the palm of my thumb when I wave my hand while playing.

I’m going to sand down the edges and corners.

The Rockets don’t have the sharp edges and are easy to play without these problems.

Regards from Astrid

5 Likes

I think I’m going to enjoy the Rocket. Thanks for responding.:metal:

4 Likes

HI Mac, I had the same problem when I got my first harmonica. The Special 20 had pretty much the same discomfort as the others. I thought it was because I have small hands and so I’m always gripping the harp – especially with hand-wah technique. But you get used to it. I have heard lots of people say that they sand the corners so it probably doesn’t hurt anything. You can always buy harps with rounded edges. I have a Golden Melody that has rounded edges. It’s very comfortable and sounds good. But you can’t beat the great sound of the Special 20 for the price. I love my Special 20’s. So if you don’t eventually get used to the corners, then sand away. Special 20’s are terrific harps! Enjoy!

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I grabbed a Rocket, and I’m already digging it more than the S20.:metal:

5 Likes

Yesterday I sanded down all the edges and corners of my Special 20 with an electric manicure tool. You can also do it with a Dremel, but you have more control with the manicure tool.

Now my Special 20 lies like a fine pebble in my hands :slightly_smiling_face: and it has no effect on the notes.

Yes, I have other C-Harps that don’t have the problem of hard edges. But I like my Special 20 and why should I reject it because of that?

The pain is not caused by small hands. My hands are big and used to a lot.

Regards Astrid

3 Likes

Thousands of people around the world are now eagerly sanding down the corners of their special 20s, wondering "Why didn’t I think of that myself?
I don’t have an electric manicure tool, but I can improvise.
One of mine has a very sharp burr on it.

2 Likes

Hello @PapaCurly,

:rofl:, a nail file will do the trick too.

I wonder if the manufacturer intended it :person_shrugging: or if the final inspection didn’t notice it… Maybe the subsequent sanding is also understood as “personalizing the harp”?

I don’t know :smile:!

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of the sanded S20? I’m just curious how it looks sanded.

1 Like

Hello @ladreyer503,

I would like to send you a photo that shows what you’re doing. However, I deburred the corners and long edges so discreetly that it’s not visible in a photo. Nevertheless, it’s enough to stop the harp from pressing into your hands.

Some users don’t have the right grinding tool. But it just occurred to me that it should also work carefully with a carving knife or cutter knife. Just pull off the edges and test it. Easy, simple!

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like