Special 20 vs. Marine Band – size matters to me

I’ve never messed with a Marine Band, but I hear they are quite small. Can anyone tell me how they compare size-wise to the Blues Harp?

2 Likes

I have never owned or held a Hohner Blues Harp, but according to the official Hohner home page the Marine Band Deluxe is 10 cm (or 3.9 inches) long while the Hohner MS Series Blues Harp is 10.5 cm (or 4.1 inches) long.

– Slim

4 Likes

Much obliged for the info, folks. I might have to give a Blues Harp a try.

3 Likes

Thanks, Slim. I guess I should have thought to look there. I love the Blues Harp even though it requires some mustache wax to keep me “safe” from it. I’m still trying to work up the courage to try a Marine. Band… If it it is smaller, AND grabs hair AND is nailed together, I think I’ll put it off a little longer.
Tom

3 Likes

You are very welcome, @Java .

If you want to try a Marine Band then I strongly advise buying the Marine Band Deluxe because it has screws rather than nails!

– Slim

2 Likes

Hey if size matters to you, you might actually like the Hohner Rocket. Of all the Hohner line, it feels the biggest to me. I’d like to know if @robertchartrand2104 agrees with me?

Here’s a recent post about I made about it, in case you missed it.

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

I love the Rocket because it’s design and seal means that you don’t have to force it. Most importantly and accordingly, it is so much easier to bend notes. I also own a Suzuki Manji and several Lee Oscars but won’t go back. More accomplished players may not feel the need for a Rocket.

Hope this helps.

Robert
The Great White North

(Snowed two days ago) 😀

4 Likes

Thanks much, gents. I just may have to give the Rocket a try.

2 Likes

Micky Raphael (harmonica player for Willie Nelson) plays the Rocket Amp’s! So it’s not just for beginners, Robert. They’re fantastic harps.

Listen to @donyash tone here on his Rocket amp:

3 Likes

The Hohner Rocket in my opinion is the best culmination of marine band and special 20 the reeds are super responsive the comb is a little thicker with rounded corners the covers with their opened up backside and side porting make for much better volume with less effort lower octives are available and the price aint too bad either and they are imo even more forgiving than special 20s which were my goto favorites they feel good in my hand Ive spent a bit of cash on harps the last 6yrs to find this out so i hope it helps somebody peace

5 Likes

Right on @Southside_Slim thanks for sharing man! Yeah, for some reason I find the Rocket Amps to be more responsive than the Rockets, so I prefer them. Rock on. :v:t3:

4 Likes

OOH OH ? this is good information i was not aware i havent had any input from anyone who actually plays at your level until now ,so dig this Thom Halcheck of Blue Moon sells customized covers for almost Anything and i think he has Rocket Amp covers and like thats the only diff is the hoods right?I know he makes combs for them and double stacks and custom tunings too haha this kinda makes me happy bcuz now ill have an excuse to get some custom hydroprinted powdercoated fancy goto meetin show skirts for my ROCKETS WHOODAWGY i got a hahahhappy there eskoozy me lmfao been a rough day plus i just had a really good practice jam for about 45 minnits the good ones when ii go all in leave me super light headed haha a freebie thank you Bro PEACE

2 Likes

Yeah correct, the hoods are the only difference between the Rockets and the Rocket Amps. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Interesting - but to get really blown (pun intended) away
try a Rocket with a brass comb. :laughing:

2 Likes

Greetings!!

Thanks for the post! I was hoping that size wouldn’t matter with the harmonica. …but apparently, size always matters! HAHA!

I have a LO, a Special 20, and a MB Crossover. The LO and Special 20 look and feel like they are fairly comparable in size and playability, with the Special 20 being only slightly easier to play. Then, when I play the Crossover it feels tiny, and the LO and Special 20 seem huge! I know the crossover isn’t that much smaller… it may just be the look, the comb color, the style, the weight, a few millimeters here and there, etc. but it feels much smaller and the holes seem smaller, and closer together; however, it is also the best sounding and easiest play! Very strange!

I really want to love the LO based on the ratings and everyone raving about them. I like it and play it daily for my lessons, but the crossover remains my favorite so far, despite my perceptions of it’s smaller size. I’ve also tried playing in the @Luke modified grip between the thumbs, and it works very well. Definitely a different feel and slightly changes the tone, but very useful to be able to change it up.

I still want to try a MB Deluxe (which I suspect will be very similar to the Crossover), a Rocket (which I’ve heard described as a beefed up and improved Special 20), and a Golden Melody (with its unique shape that‘s supposed to be super comfortable to hold and play).

From what I understand, I can’t go wrong with any of them… So, it’s really just a matter of time and trying to decide which one to get first. HAHA!

-Paul

5 Likes

@pnicholas1967 Not sure if you are aware, but Hohner are giving the Golden Melody a make-over. Any that are in the shops now are apparently the last of the traditional model. The ‘new improved’ (by some definition of improved) model is supposed to be out sometime this year.

5 Likes

@DavidW Hmmm… I may have to get the current one and the new one! HAHA! Thanks for the heads up as I was not aware!

4 Likes

@DavidW I think I need to add the MB Thunderbird to my list! Just heard some riffs and licks played in “Low” keys… WOW!! Very cool!

3 Likes

Hey @pnicholas1967 I’m with you on the Crossover. In my alone time, I’ve probably played Crossover key of A more than any other harmonica, and I’ve finally worn out -5 (it’s gone a bit flat and it’s choking.) Mind you I’ve been playing the hell out of this harp for 3 years.

2 Likes

After reading your post I see you signed off as from The Great White North…. Makes me think of Bob and Doug… Take off, eh :sunglasses:

1 Like