Is Your Harmonica Too Quiet? (Hohner Rocket is LOUD)

Ever played harmonica on acoustic jam sessions but can’t hear yourself over the other instruments? If so, the Hohner Rocket may be the perfect vehicle to launch your harmonica playing into orbit (Ok, ok. I’ll quit the rocket metaphors now).

The main difference between the Rocket and other Hohners (like the Marine Band, Special 20, Golden Melody) is that it’s bigger and definitely louder …and about 10 or 15 bucks more expensive.

It’s got larger chambers, and more space on the back of the harmonica for the sound to come out, and there are holes in the sides of the cover plates for sound to come out there as well. All of this is supposed to help make it project louder in an unamplified setting.

Because the chambers that you blow through on the front of the comb are about 1mm bigger, Hohner also claims it’s easier for beginners to isolate notes on the Rocket compared to other harmonicas.

So does the saying “bigger is better” apply to harmonicas? Check out my complete Hohner Rocket Review.

Aloha,
Luke

8 Likes

I’ve mentioned this a couple of times with no responses. Because of the design the Rocket is obviously louder. The point people miss is that it requires LESS breath to play at any volume. BUT the big upside (which is related) is that it is infinitely EASIER to bend.
Hope this helps,

Robert
The Great White North

3 Likes

Hey Robert - everyone is different. I find the SP20, Marine Band, Golden Melody more responsive and easier to bend. Rocket is still a great harp though.

I also just tried out the Rocket Amp which sounds great through an amp:

3 Likes

I have a couple of Rockets. One of the reasons it’s louder is because it’s so airtight; I can draw on it for 25+ seconds and have an old YouTube video to prove it, Hohner Rocket Low C.

2 Likes

Purchased a rocket. Not as responsive as my special 20(my favorite when playing in the upper range. It is louder and easy to bend. The size of the holes sometimes causes me to play two notes when I’m trying to play single notes. Got used to it rather easily. Good harp!

3 Likes

Excellent point.

1 Like