Starting over

Way back when I was playing the trumpet, an instruction manual gave some sage advice: “Don’t just pick up your instrument and blow ten thousand notes into the air and think you’re practicing.” Sadly, now that I’m learning the harmonica, I didn’t follow that advice. And so now, by trying to do too much too early (like trying to bend before I could even hit a clean note) I’ve probably picked up some bad habits and I’m starting over with the basics, beginning with holding the harp. So today I begin anew.

7 Likes

Hello @dowap, welcome to the golden club of harp players, no matter if you are a beginner, advanced or professional.
What can I write, I felt exactly the same as you. I didn’t think at the beginning that this little thing with 10 holes could be such a challenge. :smiley: Just because she appears small and rather inconspicuous compared to a chic, shiny trumpet or violin, saxophone or piano? It may be so for some ignorant, but true beauty emerges from within and is like a noble lady who must be more than conquered. This includes the right caressing with the hands, the right skills in the “kiss” and she has nothing against hygiene. All of this in a figurative sense.

As you can see, my harps have more than impressed me in my 9 months of ownership and the conquest is now up to me. A true declaration of love, right?

Have fun and PATIENCE in your conquest!
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Brilliantly stated, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 !

– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Slim, I was just surprised myself, it was bubbling up from inside me, not my head.
These little things just enchanted me. :man_fairy::woman_fairy:

2 Likes

Thanks Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 , very well said.
I can honestly say that this tiny little 10-hole instrument, with the only moving parts controlled by careful application of air, both in and out, at just the right pressure and velocity, and notes controlled only by the shape of the tongue and opening of the throat, is without a doubt the hardest instrument that I’ve ever wanted to learn. But I’m not giving up.

6 Likes

@dowap, you have good advantages since you can already play the piano and trumpet. This gives you a feeling for rhythm and tones as well as knowledge about notes. So you can fully concentrate on the harp. Trumpet is also a lot of technique with lips and breathing as well as the right little muscles, all of which will help you quickly. Many others here, including myself, also have to take care of it.
The small harp has one advantage. You can easily put them in your pocket. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey @dowap I congratulate you for taking an honest assessment and course correcting. That’s what it’s all about - I’m doing it all the time. I have a bad habit of thinking I’m better than I actually am! :rofl:

But the journey is fun. And especially when we slow down and say to ourselves, “I have all the time in the world. This is fun!”

I’m reminded one of my best friends Dr. Eddie who was playing for me one day bending, and I saw his mouth position was too shallow and I was like, “Oh, you’ve got some habits that are gonna be hard to undo…”

I recommended he do my Beginner to Boss course. Felt a little funny, but I knew that would get him re-established in the fundamentals in a good way. And sure enough, a couple months later he had a nice rich bluesy tone.

All that to say, I think it’s worth considering if you haven’t already!

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes