Straight versus Cross

This question is for Luke as I am struggling in the start of Module 3. I had a friend ask me if I am playing straight or cross harp. I looked up the definition of cross harp and instantly was able to isolate notes. Thoughts on that as a technique? Am I cheating and need to learn and master the relax mouth technique regardless?

1 Like

DIsregard. I did more reading. I guess there are several ideas what cross harp is.

2 Likes

Yep.
Its not about mouth shape. I just got the grip of the different meanings myself thanks to @Slim
Welcome to the forum. There is the option to put questions during lessons. Your questions will go straight to Luke that way if thats the idea. Otherwise heaps of helpful people here.
There is of course also the option to delete your post if you want to.
It would be nice to hear more about you and how you came to harp playing in the https://forum.harmonica.com/t/introduce-yourself/7
Section.
Toog

2 Likes

@michaelkallio09 Welcome to the forum my friend! Can you please elaborate on what definition of cross-harp you came across? I’ve never heard of any other than it being another word for 2nd position, meaning playing your C harmonica for a song in the key of G

I’ve organized Beginner to Boss Module 3 into blocks of songs that fit into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th position. You can see that fairly easily in the table of contents, or here:

Learning the scale of each position will help give you a framework for each position and is worth the time, especially for 1st and 2nd position which are the most frequently played positions.

3 Likes

This is what I had found. Obviously its inaccurate. I posted this in a moment of frustration. LOL I know I’m not supposed to get frustrated.

The way the harmonica is held

• The main difference between straight harp and cross harp is the way the harmonica is held. Straight harp is held in the traditional way, with the harmonica perpendicular to the mouth. Cross harp is held at an angle, with the mouthpiece facing the cheek. This position makes it easier to bend notes on the harmonica.

I did some questions during the lesson but it said “waiting for approval” for a day so I asked here because I was struggling.

3 Likes

Now that is total bullsh#t :point_left:

3 Likes

The stuff you find on the internet. LOL .

3 Likes

Fake News!

2 Likes