Test Drive Some Hot Country Licks

Luke Teaching Some Hot Country Licks

Wanna learn some hot country licks?

Most of this kind of playing is in 2nd position (so we are playing in the key of G on a C harmonica).

:bulb: On some country songs, you really want to use a Country Tuned harmonica where the -5 is tuned a half-step higher. Many country melodies have that note, and it’s missing from a standard tuned harmonica.

Still, plenty of it can be played on a standard tuned harmonica.

Most hot country licks use notes from either:

:point_right: The Blues Scale

:small_blue_diamond: -2 -3’ 4 -4’ -4 -5 6

:small_blue_diamond: 6 -5 -4 -4’ 4 -3’ -2 -2” -1 -1’ 1 -1’ -1 -2" -2

:point_right: The Major Pentatonic Scale

:small_blue_diamond: -2 -3” -3 -4 5 6

:small_blue_diamond: 6 5 -4 -3 -3” -2 2 -1 2 -2

Or some combination of the 2 scales. In fact, most of my favorite hot country licks come from a combination of the 2 scales .

If you’re a beginner and you don’t yet know how to bend, here are some great country licks for you: -3 -4 -3 -2 2 -1 -2 . For more fun, try adding on a -3 or a 2 to the end .

And here’s a great ending, no bending: 6 5 -4 -3 -2

When I got together in the studio with my friend Jarett, I turned these licks into a little tune:

-3 -4 -3 -2 2 -1 -2 -3

-3 -4 -3 -2 2 -1 -2 2

-3 -4 -3 -2 2 -1 -2 -3

6 5 -4 -3 -2 (234 -123)

If you’re intermediate or advanced here’s a few killer licks:

:one: Charlie McCoy style lick

-1 2 -1 -2 -3” -3 4 -4’ -4 -3 5 4 -5 -4 5 -4

:two: McCoy style lick #2

-4’ -4 -5 -4 4 -3’ -3 -2

:three: A Classic Ending

-2 -3” -3’ -3 -4 5 -4 6

To hear these in action, check out this rough ‘n’ ready video. And don’t forget you can slow down YouTube videos to 75%, 50%, or even 25% speed. I do it all the time! Just click on the gear icon > playback speed > and choose your desired speed.

Like these riffs? Have others you like better? Drop a comment…

5 Likes

Nice video and thanks for the tabs. Can I ask a simple question which notes are you articulating and which ones are you carrying over from another note?

For me it would a lot easier if instructors gave the articulation used as well as the tab but, that’s just me. I find it difficult in deciding whether to carry a note over to a another note or try and articulate every note.
Any advice would be helpful.

2 Likes

On the beginner level I’m not articulating anything. Just blowing and drawing.

1 Like