The "airy" feeling of lower key harmonicas?

Hi all, hope you’re having an awesome day :slight_smile:

I’m currently learning to play a shortened version of Eine kleine Nachtmusik, which I transcribed from piano sheet music. The piece is on G, so naturally I would use a G harmonica. But I’ve noticed when I play on it the “feeling” in my mouth is more airy, than when I play it with say a C harmonica.

Are lower key harmonica’s more “airy” because of the reeds? or is it just me?

Also feel free to move this topic if needed.

3 Likes

Hallo @Vibe,
Respekt für die kleine Nachtmusik, sehr schön.
Am Anfang habe ich mich mit der C Harmonika etwas schwerer getan. Deshalb nach drei Wochen eine G Harp geholt und es ging leichter oder luftiger, wie du schreibst.
Das hat mir das Grundlegende gerade bei der Atmung für die C Harp geholfen und ich spiele beide gern.
Ich entscheide mich dann entsprechend dem Song, welche ich nutze. Heißt aber nicht, dass ich dann bei der bleibe. Den nächsten Tag kann es auch wieder die andere sein.
Gutes Gelingen wünscht Astrid

2 Likes

Hello @AstridHandbikebee63 :slight_smile:

I’ve never noticed the G harmonica being easier on the lungs than the C harmonica, but it makes sense what you are saying. Did it become easier to play the C harmonica after you used the G harmonica? Is that correctly understood?

It reminds me of the pulmonica, which was created to improve breathing. I’ve never tried one though. For now I will stick to standard harmonicas. I still have a bit of trouble keeping a consistant tone, if I’m switching between notes, but it has gotten better since I started (I was fortunate enough to already having learned to breathe properly, and it is a game changer) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Genau richtig verstanden @Vibe. :grin: Einzelnoten habe ich durch die G Harp auch gut gelernt und kann sie nun auch gut auf der C Harp spielen.
Funktioniert aber nur ohne Zeitdruck und ausgeruht. Denke, es braucht alles seine Zeit und die sollte man sich geben, genau wie Pausen. Insgesamt kommen aber die kleinen Fortschritte, die irgendwie meist unbemerkt da sind. DAS ist die wahre :relaxed:, wenn man es plötzlich doch merkt.

2 Likes

I agree @AstridHandbikebee63 Taking things slowly and being relaxed, and taking breaks is essential :slight_smile:

And the small successes still count as something :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Vibe - yep, lower tuned harmonicas are more “airy” in the sense that lower reeds literally require more air from within our lungs to pass over them in order for them to vibrate.

Also the wavelengths of lower vibrations are longer, which could give us the sensation of more movement happening in our mouths.

That’s my 2 cents!

Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation @Luke !

It makes total sense :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree. I also can hear the air moving around in or escaping from the harp. This is the only lee Oskar that I have, but I think it is the low key that allows the escaping air.

3 Likes