Train whistle sound

I can make the train whistle with draw notes for inflection but i dont think the whistle sound is in the harp key. For example using a key of c harp and playing 456 draw the notes are d f and a which is a d minor. How can i play the train whistle in the key of the harp?

1 Like

Sounds like you know your harp notes and music theory. So blow 456 is the I in C, draw being ii. But if you’re chugging along in 2nd position G, I think I’d stick with the v.

2 Likes

Hey @Paulkane777 the train whistle is played in 2nd position. So if you’re playing with other musicians and you’re wanting to play a train in the key of C, he would just use an F harmonica. Does that help or are you asking something different?

1 Like

Hello @Paulkane777,

unfortunately, I only now discovered your question!

I played this whistle blow train as my own improvisation about 9 months ago. Feel free to listen to my video below.

The whole thing with a G-Harp! I play a low whistle at the beginning and a high whistle at 59 seconds. I did it well as an 8 overblow. A little practice and the overblows are easy to reach on channels 7 - 10.

Oh yes, they are the sounds of an old steam locomotive like I experienced here in Germany as a child. :smiley:
American ones sound different.

Astrid wishes you lots of fun :woman_in_lotus_position:!

4 Likes