Un-famous famous players

There famous artists not known to play the harmonica, but do. Here are a few examples.
Would you know others?

Ozzy Osbourne
Steven Taylor, Aerosmith
Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones

4 Likes

Robert Plant is a good example

5 Likes

Huey Lewis

5 Likes

how about
Rachelle Plas
Indiara Sfair

4 Likes

Ok you have me convinced - I’ll take them both please. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

@Delta7363 Is Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) already in your list?

3 Likes

No Ian isn’t on my list. I didn’t knew he played. I’ll have to look that up. Thanks.

3 Likes

Good choices , thanks.

3 Likes

I was just about to add him to the list, and you beat me to it.
Thanks.

3 Likes

As harmonica players​:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Huey I knew he played. But I also believe he was known for playing. Or am I wrong?

4 Likes

Hi @Delta7363

Making this list is difficult because it depends on how much of a true “follower” of a particular musician you are. Those who really “get into” a musician’s work might know that harmonica is “on the menu” while those with only a passing interest might not realize (or even care) who is playing the harmonica. Good examples of this are Ian Anderson and Robert Plant or Steven Taylor (whom I never knew even existed, :exploding_head: although the name of the group – Aerosmith – is one that I have heard).

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

An example for you @Delta7363

3 Likes

I loved jethro tull
Look up the band “Milk n blues”

2 Likes

Chrissy Hines of the Pretenders does, as well as Delbert McClinton (though many are probably not familiar with him.)

4 Likes

I did @betterapproach.team . Wow! They are soooooo good, and more than one of them an play harmonica too. Thanks for the introduction. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yeah they are talented

2 Likes

Ian Gillan and Jack Bruce also good harp players

2 Likes

I suprised that Tommy Morgan is not on any of the top lists and that there is not much info about him on the internet. He is supposedly the most heard harmonica player. I found him because he was the one who played the harp for “Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas” and that is one of the movies that inspired me to take up the harmonica. I wanted to sound just like Mickey!! :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6oppSZJEjM&t=49s

3 Likes

Muddy Waters. I interviewed him around 1970. He said, “I started playing harmonica when I was, must’ve been five years old. By the time I was 12 I was good. By the time I was 18 I was very good, but I always wanted to play the slide guitar.”

And that’s what people remember from those first Alan Lomax field recordings through the next forty years - always playing guitar and always a good harmonica player in the band. And his guitar player, Jimmy Rodgers? Another very good harmonica player. But both preferred playing guitar and singing.

3 Likes