Using a Metronome

I’m new to all of this. I downloaded a metronome and am wondering how to use it so it’s in sync with the lessons in module two. Is the “slow” setting at 60, “medium” at 90 and the fast at 120? Thanks so much for any assistance! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi
I think just keeping up with luke in the lesson is enogh going on for me. I have a mechanical metronome I use when playing without accomniment. Now I can play a bit I find a backing track to keep up with helps. Or you can find a karaoke version of a song and play along. The words help you keep in time.
I’m not sure if it’s the same for all beginners but I’m still prone to playing too slow.
Toog

2 Likes

@rooneymt - most metronomes have a “TAP” feature where you can tap to the pulse of a song and it will tell you the BPM.

(If it’s not readily apparent on your particular model, perhaps Google it. There are many free or cheap ones that have this feature.)

Hope that helps?

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes

Thanks so much! My app has the tap feature :slight_smile:

I’m new to the site so I’m uncertain where the best places are to ask questions. For instance I’m on Module 2 lesson 8. I’m following you with the syncopation. I follow along clapping for the beats in the two bars and now using my metronome :slight_smile: However I don’t see how any of that relates to the part where we start playing the song. For the song you’re going -123 -123 -123 123 -123. How does this relate to 1&2&3&4&. 1&2&3&4& beats we practiced? I’m assuming this may be an “ear” thing. You mentioned earlier about listening to the tracks without the harmonica to practice? I didn’t see that on the site? maybe I need more time? Thanks so much for your assistance…all of this is pretty exciting!! And Aloha to you too! :slight_smile: Mike

2 Likes

The 5 chords are played over 2 bars:
Bar 1 coming on beat 1, the and of 2, beat 4,
Bar 2 coming on beat 2, and beat 3.

Slowing down counting out loud and clapping will help make sure you’re accurately internalizing the rhythm. Then once you know you’ve got it, stop counting, and just FEEL IT.

This is the most comprehensive approach. But not everyone does it.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Counting and clapping really do help a lot. It’s the “ear” part that is real hard for me. Following you helps soooo much! What I find super difficult is hearing all the beats while listening to the jam tracks. I can clap the beats when I say it with you and I practice real slow with my metronome. But I can’t even come close to saying and clapping in sync with the music. My rhythm with the music if I’m on a roll is pretty much 1/4 notes +/- an 1/8th note. When the music is playing even in the slow mode I can’t catch the 1/8 notes…So I’m quite certain to a trained ear I am not hitting my notes exactly on key :))) I am trying to hone my ear while listening to other music and it seems like everything goes so fast there’s no way my hands can keep up or recognize all the beats…I’m assuming just keep practicing and hopefully I’ll get some rhythm…but I am having fun! My pups love howling with me! :))))) These courses are pretty fascinating!

3 Likes

@rooneymt I love this honest self-assessment. Being self-aware it half the battle, and most people will never get to the point of self-awareness that you are, so CONGRATS!!

When a song plays, typically we should be able to bob our head, tap our foot or clap our hands to the beat. Are you unable to do that (without counting any numbers - just feeling the beat.)?

If you CAN do it with the metronome, but not with the music. Are you SURE you’re doing it with the metronome? LOL. Try recording yourself clapping and counting with a metronome and listen back closely.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback Luke! :slight_smile: Yes when listening to music I do bob the head to the beat. But I guess the extra motion of bobbing and clapping can be quite complex! :rofl: Those are great tips about recording myself. I will practice on that.

The one difficulty I’ve always had ever since my younger days is listening to the same beat as everyone else. I need to focus on the drums. I remember when I was younger (in the 70’s :scream: ) we’d be sitting at a table and listening to music. And everyone is tapping their hands to the song and so was I…until a friend looked up and saw me. He asked me what I was listening to. We were all listening to something like Pink Floyd or something like that. Then all my friends started following the beat I was tapping on the table…it was so funny…for at first they didn’t hear…then all of a sudden they started hearing the beat I was listening too…but apparently it was too different for then they all went back to the drum beat. :joy:

So I’ll keep working on that…and I tell ya…If by some rare chance I end up being able to play the harmonica halfway decent in a year or two you’ll have to post me as one of those students whom even with mental disabilities was able to play the harmonica…heck…they may even put you on 60 minutes! :rofl:

I hope you and your family and friends have a Merry Christmas and a most happy holiday season! :hugs:
Mike

5 Likes

LOL. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Mike!

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hi rooneymt, I can empathise with you on those issues. I think I understand now, the concept of using a metronome, but if play an on-line one at the recommended speed for a song, it seems way way way too fast. So, I’m obviously not feeling it as I should.
Your quip about Luke deserving an appearance on 60 minutes if he can teach you to play, literally made me laugh out loud. I’m sure I’m not the only who can empathise with that.

2 Likes

Yeah well you don’t want to try and LEARN a song at the RECORD TEMPO. Most metronomes have a tap feature so you can tap in the tempo at which you wanna practice. (and the SLOWER you can play it, the BETTER!)

2 Likes