Using Harmonica in Christmas Music

Since it’s almost Christmas, I decided to do something for the holiday season. That’s right, I’m bustin’ out the Christmas songs! I absolutely love Christmas music, especially when it comes from country artists. I recently learned the Terry McMillan version of “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear”. His take on the song is absolutely beautiful. I learned the melody of it in first position and did the obligatory cross harp part as well.

Now here’s a little something you might not know about me. I used to be a Garth Brooks superfan back in high school. I own almost all of his albums (all except his most recent one) and have watched nearly every episode of Inside Studio G. I even got on ISG for an Ask Garth back in 2018. And many of you know it was a Garth song that got me started on the harmonica. There’s a song that I just covered today from his second Christmas album, ‘Garth Brooks & the Magic of Christmas’, called “Baby Jesus is Born”. I thought the song would’ve been perfect for Terry McMillan to play harp on as it has the “churchy” southern gospel sound that I was not used to hearing until I became a harmonica player. The original song doesn’t have any harp on it, so I added it in myself. I hope you enjoy it.

5 Likes

Very well done @KeroroRinChou . Great stuff :clap:t2:

3 Likes

Great stuff, @KeroroRinChou !! You captured the “Southern Gospel” feeling and got me rockin’ and bouncin’ in my seat! :musical_note:

More music like this !! Please !!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Superb addition to the song, that fit right in so well.

Thank you so much for sharing that - it’s certainly brightened my morning

6 Likes

Thank y’all so much, @Slim, @MikeyJay & @stonestone63.

3 Likes

Wow @KeroroRinChou really fantastic stuff. I LOVE IT!!! :sunglasses::notes::100: Keep it up! As @Slim said: we want more! :raised_hands:t3:

Also the Terry McMillan video is fascinating in the hand vibrato he’s going because there’s a little wah going on, but there’s also some volume and pitch fluctuation happening from him moving his hand. This is a good example of what I would call “hand vibrato.”

3 Likes