Wanted! Your recommendation on selecting a key

I am brand new to playing music and know very little about it other than it sure helped me through many stressful days at work. I plan to play the slower songs like Sound Of Silence as opposed to the fast jazzy music. Any suggestions as to what the best Key is? This will involve good isolation to play single notes correctly and consistently, which seem to be the most difficult aspect of playing. Is this common and other than practice any other suggestions on how to learn to do this? Use of my diaphragm seems to be no problem and I find myself using it especially when playing the draw notes on 7-10. ? Is this the best method for correctly playing the right side of the harp? I do have two Crossovers C and D flat. Both are great and seem to require a bulls eye on single notes but sound great whenever I play one. Any and all comments are welcome.

4 Likes

Alright, I have questions for you. I am a newbie so forgive me. How much harmonica skill do you have right now? What I mean is, what level are you? Complete newbie like me, have you taken a course such as Luke’s Beginner To Boss? Thus far the course is helping me learn a lot. Wikipedia says this " The original recording of the song is in D♯ minor, using the chords D♯m, C♯, B and F♯. Simon plays a guitar with a capo on the sixth fret, using the shapes for Am, G, F and C chords. He provides the lower vocals for harmony while Garfunkel sings the melody." The Sound of Silence is folk or folk rock. In my mind that says to me that the song would be played in first position or straight harp. It seems that the original recording is in D#m which is Ebm. If I am correct then the harmonica you need is a Lee Oscar diatonic in Ebm. Lee Oscar makes minor tuned harps. Do not take my post as truth as I am a newbie, but this is what I think. Have you heard the cover of the song by Disturbed? The live performance is fantastic. I believe it is done in F#m. Disturbed "The Sound Of Silence" 03/28/16 | CONAN on TBS - YouTube

1 Like

I am new as well and frankly illiterate in terms of music theory and reading it. I can play Sound of Silence but the timing is off but its not too difficult. There seems to be a couple of notes the guy on U Tube does not play. The way I am learning is to record a few songs I like and place one ear piece in place and listen to the song and play it. This is the way I learn beat and there are no harmonica players near by to help. I have two Crossovers, D flat and C. Using an I Pod seems to be a great way to work on timing and you well know well when you missed a note.

As far as how good am I mmmmm I just close the door so my wife does not have to listen. After I get down four to five songs down well I think the learning curve will really turn up. I find myself relying on my diaphragm when playing the middle to high draw holes, possibly a habit I picked up when I used to duck hunt many years ago. This works well for me but it might not be the best way. Never played a musical instrument so I am going through the coarse as well. It helps and I plan to go through it a second time. The only music I can play without tabs and get close occasionally is the theme song John Barry wrote for Dances With Wolves, slow portion. I tend to play a bit faster and listening to the song while playing really helps.

From what I can tell there are many pieces of the harmonica chain and every time I progress the closer I am to being ok. I played pool for decades and its the same way as there are numerous aspects of the game and practicing right and playing with the best players you can is what moves a person up the curve faster. I played the harder games like snooker as its difficult but its the mistakes that I feel you learn from. I never give up.

I plan to get one more Crossover and am thinking of a G. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I was born visually impaired. For me, learning by ear is key for me. It really helps me when Luke explains to me in a Beginner To Boss lesson what he is doing. If he says to draw for 4 beats then blow four beats…then I hear what he is doing, I can follow it. Live tab does not work for me. In that case I have to study the tab in still mode, hear it, play with it, and reproduce it. I found thar Rick Beato’s ear training course is a great resource for me. I am enjoying the Beginner To Boss course. I am in this simply for fun, hobby level stuff.

1 Like

It same as we are from the same starting position. I only learn from doing something and books are of little help. The only things I have going are persistence. diaphragm control and tone recognition. I play best with my eyes closed. I still wonder if a great player can hear a song and play it of they have to learn the song well before its part of their program. At 68 I don’t have the years to learn all aspects of the harmonica and only want to get good enough I can sit out on my deck and play a few songs well. I do not know if I will get there but I will die trying.

Scott

2 Likes

We all learn differently via different methods. For me, auditory helps. I find that learning ear training is helpful. For example, I use a course by Rick Beato. Learning how to hear and pick out a note, chord, interval, etc. It takes time. Slow and steady wins the race. This is the material I am talking about. Beginner guitar to advanced theory. Rick Beato was a college professor, had a band, did music production, now Youtube. Anywho, being visually impaired, I find ear training to be helpful. It takes the visual learning part out of the equation for me.

2 Likes

It’s easier to play high notes on a lower harp. I recommend picking up a G or an A.

4 Likes

Harproli has a version of sound of since using a Lee Oskar in E Melody Maker. I wish he had tabs for it but, he doesn’t which is a pity.

Liam Ward also does a it using a C harp

With tabs

And Yuanyuan playing it using an A harp

Sounds like Yuanyuan is using similar tabs to Liam and the others but using an A harp.

My favorite is Harproli using the Melody Maker in E.

This one sounds like a G harp scrap that it’s low F.
@fgharmonica7254

@fgharmonica7254

2 years ago

Thank you, harmonica diatonic Seydel Low F

2 Likes